DW660 Mods

Jimmy0x52

Re: DW660 Mods

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Just finished doing this. If you're cussing at the snap ring:

Put a flat head screwdriver under one side of the open part at the front (with the tiny holes), and push just enough to get a thin second flat head screwdriver under the back of the ring (you'll see a small gap as you start to pry at one side of the front of the ring).

Once you have that other screwdriver back there, keep enough pressure on it to remove the first screwdriver from the front of the ring. Then put the first screwdriver in the back gap as well. (You might need to push the second one slightly to widen the gap at the back but take it slow or it will slip out). You should now have two screwdrivers under the back of the snap ring.

Push one far enough under to get it showing on the other side of the ring. Now twist one of them. Viola! Off comes the ring.

Might take a few tries to get the one-to-two under the ring maneuver down, but it does come off easily no special tools required and not cutting of the plastic.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Jimmy0x52 wrote:Just finished doing this. If you're cussing at the snap ring:

Put a flat head screwdriver under one side of the open part at the front (with the tiny holes), and push just enough to get a thin second flat head screwdriver under the back of the ring (you'll see a small gap as you start to pry at one side of the front of the ring).
This is *exactly* how I finally got the snap ring off when doing this mod yesterday!

If you are also turning the spindle lock 90 degrees while removing the tool free attachment, be sure to also turn the black metal piece under the yellow plastic shroud. There are little pegs in the black piece that match with the shroud which I missed the first time.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

seigenblues

Post by seigenblues » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:22 am

This forum is awesome. Yes, i was cussing at the snap ring -- and then i got to that post. Then, i was just pondering the different alignment of the black piece underneath when i ran into Will Winder's next post...

you guys rock. Now, if only it wasn't 9:30pm and i could kick up some noise! This DW 660 is *loud*
Batch 4 Shapeoko #837, dual y & dw660
Shapeoko2, TinyG w/ dw660, NEMA23 XY.

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 pm

IC

Thanks for the Mounts. I got them on Friday and put them on ASAP. I have cut a few things and I can tell a difference already. Now I must choose ...do I play or start upgrading?

DevinTX
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

bluecamel

Post by bluecamel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Why is everyone removing the collet nut/lock? I can see people preferring a wrench, but I've found it very convenient so far. Am I missing something?
Shapeoko 2 ..::.. DW660 with 3d printed mounts, HDPE version of IC's dust shoe

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 am

It makes for a little easier tool changes. IC made the observation (and I agree) that if handheld, the end lock twist is a great idea, but when you are dealing with the thing on the vertical, you are holding the bit with one hand keeping it from falling, one hand trying to turn the black knob thing, and one hand for locking the spindle. Now, not all of us grew up near three mile island, so not all of us have three appendages, thus... tightening with a wrench is easier. I have noticed that having the area cleared of extra stuff is kind of nice too.

There may be deeper ideas at play here too, but these were what I was aware of.

The thing with the 660 that I am trying to sort out is speed. I bought the speed controller linked somewhere in this thread. I also bought a little laser tachometer so I could get a pretty good read on how fast it is really going. Many forum threads talk about speeds around 10,000 rpm. When I try to go near this area, it just feels like it is loosing torque. I am still learning all the whines and moans of the machine, and now that I have been using hearing protection (something about not liking the ringing in the ears after a job) I have to get accustom to the sounds all muffled. But, It seems that it stays strong down to between 13,000 and 14,000 rpm.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 am

You're also less likely to disturb the square and plumb of the machine if you're using wrenches rather than pushing on the device itself.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

bluecamel

Post by bluecamel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess I must be the odd man out that has no trouble doing it with two hands. Then again, I haven't been changing tools a lot so it could be that I just haven't dealt with it enough to have the issues.

I'm also interested in variable speed. My next build is going to be based around the Beaglebone Black and BeBoPr++ and I'd really love to figure out how to use g-code to control spindle speed. I'm a ways from that and still getting the BeBoPr wired up and learning how to deal with LinuxCNC, but I'll get there eventually ;)
Shapeoko 2 ..::.. DW660 with 3d printed mounts, HDPE version of IC's dust shoe

scott216

Post by scott216 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Improbable Construct wrote: Once you have removed the 4 screws and the collet nut, the front of the tool comes right off. Then you can remove the snap ring and the tool free collet tightener drops off.
At this point you can also twist the insides 90 degrees to put the shaft lock on the side with the DeWALT logo.
I like this mode. I tried to re-assemble with the button on the same side as the logo like you did, but there are a couple molded plastic pins that prevented me from rotating the cover 90 degrees. Did you cut these pins off?
Shapeoko v2 with DW660
GRBL v0.9i

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Do you mean the black pointy bits (one is big and the other is small)?

If so, if I recall, you can turn the whole square, essentially changing the direction of the electrics, and align this up with the bottom as it was designed to be connected back together.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log