Rotozip or Laminate Trim Router for the spindle?

minorthreat

Re: Rotozip or Laminate Trim Router for the spindle?

Post by minorthreat » Mon May 07, 2012 8:28 pm

At 155$ The super PID seems hard to justify.

You could just pick up one of these http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-Amp- ... m_sbs_hi_2 and control the knob with a hobby servo... Ghetto, yes. Cheap, also yes.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue May 08, 2012 2:23 pm

CptanPanic wrote:I am not sure how to calculate, but do you worry if that may be too much torque for the makerslide and carridge?
I think right now, my limiting factor is the nema17 motors. At only 60oz/in, they just don't have enough torque to push the router through the material at high speeds with a deep (1/8") depth pass. The setup looks to be reliable at up to about 70-75ipm. Above that and I've missed steps in the Y direction.

Now that I've typed it, I'm starting to wonder if that may be due to the fact that I'm sharing a driver for the two gantry motors!? I suppose that would effectively max them out at around 30oz/in each? And it would also explain why I haven't missed any steps in the X axis direction.

Regarding the makerslide/carriage handling the torque: I don't see that being an issue. The extrusions are *really* stiff. Especially considering their orientation and that they only span 375mm. Pushing the gantry hard from the side I can't feel any sort of deflection. The place where deflection is possible is the z-axis, due to it's 'lever arm' nature. But, if you're only dipping a few inches past the bottom of the plate, even that is minimal. Side to side deflection on the Z has not been observed, at least by me.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

CptanPanic

Rotozip or Laminate Trim Router for the spindle?

Post by CptanPanic » Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 pm

The reason I bring up the rigidity is I plan on extending mine, and want to add a router like this and need to figure what type of beefing up I need to do.

MLange

Post by MLange » Tue May 08, 2012 10:27 pm

edwardrford wrote:Now that I've typed it, I'm starting to wonder if that may be due to the fact that I'm sharing a driver for the two gantry motors!? I suppose that would effectively max them out at around 30oz/in each? And it would also explain why I haven't missed any steps in the X axis direction.
Perhaps with a more powerful driver, you'd be able to eke out some more torque.
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

minorthreat

Post by minorthreat » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

You can eek out a little more torque depending on how you wire the 2 motors up. You effectively have an 8 wire motor that can be wired as ANY of the wiring methods available. BiPolar series should give you the most torque for the current available.

https://probotix.com/stepper_motors/unipolar_bipolar/

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue May 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Edward,

Do you have the revised drawings for your DW660 mount?
I looked around but didn't see them.
.DXF would be great if available .PDF would be fine too.
My knockoff rotary tool just converted itself from a crappy rotary tool to a very nice fireworks show!
So I got on amazon and ordered a DW660, it should be here tomorrow!
Thanks
-Brandon
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue May 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Here they are. We should probably put them on the wiki too.

Zipped up, you'll find the .step, .pdf, and .dxf file.

-Edward
Attachments
DW660_Mount.zip
(83.05 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

nio

Post by nio » Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 pm

edwardrford wrote:Here's the picture. As promised. I'll try to get some video tonight while I'm cutting parts!

Edward, could you upload a photo of your shapeoko bed?? i'm trying to build one, but i don't get a stable bed...

Thanks in advance...

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri May 25, 2012 10:18 pm

The bed that's in the picture is worthless. I had this super elaborate design that includes a plasma cut piece of 10ga acting as a slotted table. After assembling everything and giving it a few test runs, I realized I was better off just using my standard MDF wasteboard.

What I need to add are some t-slot tracks on both sides of the MDF. I think just those screwed down to the MDF will be the best solution for now.

Regardless, I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures tomorrow when I'm cutting parts.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

gazorp

Post by gazorp » Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 am

edwardrford wrote:The bed that's in the picture is worthless. I had this super elaborate design that includes a plasma cut piece of 10ga acting as a slotted table. After assembling everything and giving it a few test runs, I realized I was better off just using my standard MDF wasteboard.

What I need to add are some t-slot tracks on both sides of the MDF. I think just those screwed down to the MDF will be the best solution for now.

Regardless, I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures tomorrow when I'm cutting parts.

-Edward
I got some t slot and clamps from rockler that i will use in my build: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER and http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... lter=45692

I am STILL debating which spindle to get....

Proxxon professional vs DW660 vs wolfgang vs PJ spindle??? Make my own RC? AHHHHH! ToO MaNy OpTions! GaZorP's Head is spinning 30,000 RPM! :idea: New idea, use head as spindle! :roll: :lol: