Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

jtopoko
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 am

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by jtopoko » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

That is completely understandable - as much as the shapeoko will one day be a useful tool, it is currently just a hobby. With the Makita though it should be amazing, perhaps subject to nema 23's and reinforced x axis. :mrgreen:

So I'm ready to try what you post in your video can you tell me what 1/8 bit and collet sleeve you will use and where you got them - could be helpful to ensure I have things calibrated properly if we can cross reference results..

gperzel
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by gperzel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi;
I bought the Makita for use with my new Shapeoko. Also found a 3/8" collet cone for the router at http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/. The collet is no longer available in the USA but got it from t5he UK outfit. I have a ton of 3/8" milling bits, which are more readily available than the 1/4" and 1/8 sizes.

Targus
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by Targus » Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm

jtopoko wrote:That is completely understandable - as much as the shapeoko will one day be a useful tool, it is currently just a hobby. With the Makita though it should be amazing, perhaps subject to nema 23's and reinforced x axis. :mrgreen:

So I'm ready to try what you post in your video can you tell me what 1/8 bit and collet sleeve you will use and where you got them - could be helpful to ensure I have things calibrated properly if we can cross reference results..
The one I bought is the Astro Pneumatic Tool Co 200-283 Slot 1/4-1/8-Inch Collet Reducer ... http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-T ... 2F8+collet

I have it, just haven't gotten a chance to use it, so i can't make any recommendations as of yet.

Targus
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by Targus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Below is a video about using a collet sleeve to use the 1/8th inch bits in the 1/4 in Makita collet.



I am very happy about how this worked out.

trnr
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by trnr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 am

LIKE!

what feeds and speeds were you using then? they looked like some deep passes

northbear
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by northbear » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Just FYI in case you missed it, there is now a custom 1/8" collet for a the RT0701C. See this post for details

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =40#p26731


Personally, I am currently using a collet adapter from MLCS:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... rings.html

This has worked well for me, but if I ever need a new one I will probably get one from elainecorp, as they have an custom collet for the Porter Cable 7310 trim router I use.

http://www.elairecorp.com/portercablecollets.html
My buildlog is here

Targus
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by Targus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:51 am

trnr wrote:LIKE!

what feeds and speeds were you using then? they looked like some deep passes
Thanks. If i recall correctly, I was 30in per minute on the feed rate, and .125 on the depth per pass.
northbear wrote:Just FYI in case you missed it, there is now a custom 1/8" collet for a the RT0701C. See this post for details

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =40#p26731


Personally, I am currently using a collet adapter from MLCS:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... rings.html

This has worked well for me, but if I ever need a new one I will probably get one from elainecorp, as they have an custom collet for the Porter Cable 7310 trim router I use.

http://www.elairecorp.com/portercablecollets.html
I saw that thread, and frankly I am happy with the collet reducer. I don't need to spend the extra money on custom collet right now. I have other things to buy.

ilham
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by ilham » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Looks very nice.

I'm planning to buy RT0701C one of these days, but since the standard voltage in my country is 220volt/50hz, i cannot be sure the ones that is sold on amazon is compatiable. Anyone using this in a country where the 220V is the standard?

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:44 pm

The Makita RT0700C is available in a 220-240 V version. The RT0701C isn't even available in the UK (nor probably in the rest of Europe), but I seem to remember having read that there wasn't any difference between the bodies of the two versions. This is reinforced by the fact that the exploded view in the RT0701C manual is actually labelled "RT0700C" and dated 2011 (and identical to the one in the RT0700C manual).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Posts: 8514
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Contact:

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:40 pm

The difference between the two seems to be in the base having the screw layout switched to a ``standard'' (Porter Cable) layout --- guess I should add that to the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Post Reply