Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Targus

Re: Makita RT0701C Mounting Bracket with Dust Boot

Post by Targus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:23 pm

sectorix wrote:Also, I wonder If im doing something wrong. when I import the SVG you mage into inkscape, and then draw a 65x65mm circle, mine seems to be much bigger than the inner circle in your shape. What am i missing ? (sorry for the newbie question)
The original model was in Solidworks, then exported to DXF and then imported into Illustrator to create the SVG file to get it into makercam. I have since switched to Cambam which can import actual 3D models. Helps out a TON. Anyway, as Ronniemcd has mentioned, the differences in the 2 programs is probably what is causing your issue.
sectorix wrote:Trying to learn Inkscape and the whole machining thing while I build my own...

I took a liberty to create a version that incorporates my idea from earlier. based on Targus's design, I redid it in Inkscape, and made a couple of changes
  • 1. bit diameter is now 1.25"
    2. added a cross pipe of 1/2". if 2 pipes are in and tightened, there should not be any way that the boot will touch the bit.
This was a good way to push me into learning how to use Inkscape.
I dont have a CNC yet, and I dont know for sure that anyone will like this idea, but here it is.

SVG : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4S7x7 ... sp=sharing

Thanks Targus for the documentation and youtube demo's! eventually it was your incorporation of the Makita in the SO2 that made me take the plunge and get into it.

Barry.
Pretty cool looking. I am looking to mill out some new aluminium mounts this weekend with some tweeks that should fix my dust boot rotation problem. Hope to have images up later.

sectorix

Post by sectorix » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Why switch to aluminum? (bare in mind i'm new in this thing) is the HPDE not strong enough?

Targus

Post by Targus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 pm

sectorix wrote:Why switch to aluminum? (bare in mind i'm new in this thing) is the HPDE not strong enough?
I guess just a personal preference. I've been wanting to mill something out of aluminum for awhile, and this gives me an excuse. I also think aluminum will hold up longer and better than the plastic.

BrianTK

Post by BrianTK » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Do you have the file available in something other than SVG?
I am having some issues with that format.
Thanks
Brian

HakJar

Post by HakJar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi,
hijacking the thread a wee bit. I noticed some was looking for a 230V version.
In Sweden it's available here:
http://www.verktygsladan.nu/product_inf ... ts_id/2061

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Just wondering if you have cut your mount out of aluminum yet? If so wondering how it went for you? Just purchased the SO2, NEMA23 upgrade, and Makita 0701C with a 1/8" collet on the way as well.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

Targus

Post by Targus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Damin69 wrote:Just wondering if you have cut your mount out of aluminum yet? If so wondering how it went for you? Just purchased the SO2, NEMA23 upgrade, and Makita 0701C with a 1/8" collet on the way as well.
I have not. I have gone through a couple of designs to address various issues. I am planning on getting the belt drive z axis upgrade for nema 23s (http://shop.shapeoko.com/collections/fr ... z-axis-kit) which will allow me to move my router closer to the carrier. So , i have kind of put the aluminium mounts on hold until i get that upgrade.

oniontalker

Post by oniontalker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:54 am

Any reason not to do the dust boot from 3/8" acrylic like the one's IC sells?

Targus

Post by Targus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 pm

oniontalker wrote:Any reason not to do the dust boot from 3/8" acrylic like the one's IC sells?
i can't think of any. i just used the HDPE because i had some laying around.

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:07 pm

When i designed the spindle mount, i made sure that the PVC would not interfere. But i did not take into account the boot itself. I just measured and I loose about a half inch. Another problem is that the friction fit hold doesn't keep the hole for the bit centered on the bit as the machine moves. So the dust boot rotates and contacts the bit. I am going to redesign the spindle mount, move the PVC slots, and incorporate an adjustable clap to hold the PVC better. I went and bought some half inch aluminum this afternoon for the new mount
It works fine for me, I tapped the HDPE through the vac tube and screwed the tube in place from the HDPE side. I glue the dustboot to the 1.25 vac tube. It stays in place. The height is enough so the dustboot doesn't run into obstacles while cutting.