Custom 1/8" Collet for Makita RT0701C Trim Router

JPeterG

Custom 1/8" Collet for Makita RT0701C Trim Router

Post by JPeterG » Tue May 13, 2014 6:09 am

Hello All,

Sorry to duplicate this message (I placed it once in the "For Sale" section, and once here in the "Trim Router" section), but I wasn't sure where the best place to post it was.

I’ve been following the discussions about upgrading the spindle the Shapeoko 2 ships with to a Makita RT0701C trim router, and decided to go ahead and purchase one. However, I have been somewhat disappointed by the run-out introduced by using a set-screw based collet adapter with my 1/8” bits.

In the process of looking for a better solution, I came across a company that makes custom collets. I sent them pictures of the 1/4” collet from the RT0701C and they said they could make me a custom pair of 1/8" collets for $25 per unit (they have a $50 minimum order for custom collets.) Since I know there are other Shapeoko owners that are using or want to use the RT0701C as a spindle, I inquired about quantity pricing. They told me they could reduce the price to $17.50 per unit for ten or more collets, and reduce it further still to $9.50 per unit for 100 or more collets.

So at this point, I'm trying to gauge what level of interest there is among the forum users for a custom 1/8” collet solution for the RT0701C. If there is sufficient interest, I can coordinate a batch order and hopefully get us all a decent price break.

If you are interested, please reply to this post. If 10 or fewer people are interested, I will place the order out of pocket and then notify everyone when the parts arrive. After that, upon receipt of payment via PayPal (equal to the price of the number of collets ordered plus a small amount to cover PayPal charges and shipping) I would send the parts out to you. If I get a lot of interest (like closer to 100 pieces), I may have to ask for the payment up front, because I can't afford to put up the $950 manufacturing cost out of pocket.

There is some risk involved here, because I won't know the quality of the final product until I get one in hand. I do expect the quality will be good, because the manufacture has been around for quite some time, and they frequently manufacture precision replacement collets for older / hard to find equipment. If any of you prefer to take a "wait and see" approach, please respond to this topic anyway... I will then simply place a minimum order for my own two collets and then write up a review when I get them to try out. Then, if the final result is acceptable, I can coordinate placing an additional batch order for more.

Anyway, I've turned on "notify me when a reply is posted" for this topic, so please feel free to chime in. I'll collect your input until about Friday of this week (May 16, 2014), and then place the first order based on everyone's preference.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Peter.
Last edited by JPeterG on Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2 #5059. Assembly in progress...

gperzel

Re: Custom 1/8" Collet for Makita RT0701C Trim Router

Post by gperzel » Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 am

Hi;
I am interested-order me two when you order yours. Can send funds via Paypal or check. Pls advise total.
gperzel

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue May 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Just as an FYI, you can purchase adaptor bushings for less than $5 and they work pretty well.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... ht=adaptor
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 13, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm using that adapter bushing, and I don't mind it in my Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router, but I'm still tempted by the idea of a custom collet, and would be interested in buying one of these collets ``just in case'' --- send me your snail mail address in a PM and I'll get a money order on its way to you.

Just an FYI, the 1/4"--1/8" bushing has a single slit, which makes me worry about balance or a lack thereof.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

JPeterG

Post by JPeterG » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm

twforeman wrote:Just as an FYI, you can purchase adaptor bushings for less than $5 and they work pretty well.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... ht=adaptor
I looked at those, but when I found the custom collet option, I thought that would be better than introducing yet another layer of imprecision.

Peter.

JPeterG

Post by JPeterG » Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 pm

WillAdams wrote:I'm using that adapter bushing, and I don't mind it in my Harbor Freight 1/4" Trim Router, but I'm still tempted by the idea of a custom collet, and would be interested in buying one of these collets ``just in case'' --- send me your snail mail address in a PM and I'll get a money order on its way to you.

Just an FYI, the 1/4"--1/8" bushing has a single slit, which makes me worry about balance or a lack thereof.
Will, apparently I haven't sent enough messages yet to qualify for PM use. :( You should be able to PM me however. Just to be clear, I'm currently trying to gather interest specifically for a custom collet for the Makita RT0701C trim router. I think to get a price break for a custom HF trim router collet, we'd need to start another batch order.

Peter.
Last edited by JPeterG on Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPeterG

Post by JPeterG » Tue May 13, 2014 9:59 pm

gperzel wrote:Hi;
I am interested-order me two when you order yours. Can send funds via Paypal or check. Pls advise total.
gperzel
I'll allow folks to respond until Friday, at which point I'll know how many pieces the initial order will have. Then I'll be able to get you a final total price.

Peter.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 14, 2014 12:34 am

Yes, I know that we're discussing a collet for the Makita RT0701C and that it won't fit the Harbor Freight 1/4" trim router I'm using now --- I figure I'll be replacing it eventually, and this will decide things for the Makita which I'd been considering anyway (there's also a local dealer).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

jagmills

Post by jagmills » Wed May 14, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Peter,

I would very much be interested in grabbing one (or two if the price is somewhat lower, spares are always a good idea :) ). My soon-to-be assembled eShapeoko will be using my Makita router.

Looking at the options I found a very good supplier based in the US for 1/4" based tooling for the majority of my work, but it seems 1/8" allows more options, and are actually much more available in the UK than 1/4" shanks I've found, so it would be fantastic to have.

Kind Regards

Chris
Proud owner of eShapeoko #262 - 1mx1.5m, dual x axis, NEMA 23s for XYZ, ACME TR 8 x 2 leadscrew and deluxe frame. Makita RT0700c.

JPeterG

Post by JPeterG » Wed May 14, 2014 3:05 pm

jagmills wrote:Hi Peter,

I would very much be interested in grabbing one (or two if the price is somewhat lower, spares are always a good idea :) ). My soon-to-be assembled eShapeoko will be using my Makita router.

Looking at the options I found a very good supplier based in the US for 1/4" based tooling for the majority of my work, but it seems 1/8" allows more options, and are actually much more available in the UK than 1/4" shanks I've found, so it would be fantastic to have.

Kind Regards

Chris
Chris,

I'll put you down as interested, and let you know a final price some time after Friday (so that others can respond.) At the rate we're going right now, we may make the price break at 10 units for U.S. $17.50, so I don't know if that fits with what you were hoping to pay.

Also, I thought I read on one of the forum topics that the RT0701C router in Europe and the UK has a different collet holder than the U.S. version, and that U.S. sized collets may not work in it. I can't find that quote at the moment... can you confirm whether that's true?

Regards,

Peter.