DW660 VS. Makita RTo701C

gperzel

DW660 VS. Makita RTo701C

Post by gperzel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Gang;
I am fortunate enough to have both the Dewalt DW660 and the Makita RT0701C, so am able to make some head-to-head comparisons. It's really, in my mind, no contest- the Makita is far and above the better machine, even if it costs a bit more.
The DW660 is loud and noisy and has no speed control. The auto collet lock feature has been discussed previously on this forum and, as recommended by Improbable Construct, should be removed per his instructions as it makes bit changing very difficult when mounted. A further note on the dis-assembly, remove the C ring carefully from the head with the head above a towel as there is a small spring in the assembly which can be easily lost (yea, I did it). In addition, the DW660 mounts sold by Inventables is a bit flimsy-3/8" HDPE and not solid enough to hold the router solidly rigid. Its also hard to mount the router in the mounts as the DW660 is wider at both the top and bottom than the mounting area diameter, requiring the mount arms to be spread wide apart when installing.
The Makita is much quieter, has a broad range electronic speed control (10,000 rpm to 30,000 in 6 steps and maintains speed under load), and seems to have a bit more power. Easy to mount as the mounting area is a polished cylinder so it just drops in the mounting brackets (the Makita will fit into the DW660 brackets but better to make a pair out of 1/2" HDPE or aluminum.). It comes with a 1/4" collet but 1/8" is available (see jpeter thread-great collet-well machined). There is also a 3/8" collet available from a UK company, but haven't used it yet so can't comment. I got it because I have a bunch of regular double ended milling bits which has 3/8" shafts.
best regards
gmperzel