Makita plus Z-axis belt drive yet?

randycarver

Makita plus Z-axis belt drive yet?

Post by randycarver » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Is anybody running a Makita 0701 with the z-axis belt drive kit yet? I'm considering this for my spindle configuration, and I'm wondering how much of the work area is lost to the larger router body. I realize the belt drive z-axis allows the router to be mounted closer to the Z axis maker slide, and this should help.

I know Targus is considering this setup. Anyone else, yet?

Just ran my first milling job on my S02 today. I have over 200 signs to make this winter, so I am looking at a more robust spindle setup.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Makita plus Z-axis belt drive yet?

Post by WillAdams » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14 pm

The only work area which should be lost is at the back of the machine, a narrow strip defined by the difference in the location of the collet centers (left--right is limited by the X-axis gantry plate width).

If you use an efficiently arranged mount that distance should be about zero.

I lose a small bit of left--right travel on mine mounted on my SO1 'cause the vacuum hose is mounted on the left 'cause of the closed endplate design --- you should use a mount which hangs it off the front.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 am

I have not had any problem yet using Targus's Makita Brackethttp://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... ta+Bracket

That being said. I am still waiting on the Belt drive kits to get in so that I can upgrade to the Nema 23 motor I have sitting on my shelf for the Z axis.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:03 am

I have a setup using my own variants of this. Using a belt driven Z-Axis and a Chinese 800w spindle. Pics towards the end of this post.
I am now able to recover 15mm of the stick-out that using a larger spindle (65mm dia) required to clear the original motor mount plate.
Having said that, I still have a reasonable amount of overhang at the front of the machine when the gantry is full forward.
If you extend your waste board, or just use a solid enough workpiece, it is possible to hang jobs over the front edge, provided they are well held further back.
I have thought about doing something to provide support at that front edge, but it is on my long list of tinkerings as yet!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

randycarver

Post by randycarver » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the info, folks! I've just picked up the Makita and will go with Targus's mounts for now, and eventually the belt drive Z-axis.

oniontalker

Post by oniontalker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 am

I'd love to know how much Y you can get back with that and a mount change.

I'd have to change how I have my drag chain hooked up with it, but I guess it'd be worth it for the Y and the warm fuzzy feeling of the router being closer with its BFF, gantry.