DeWalt 611 durability/maintenance

cvoinescu

Re: DeWalt 611 durability/maintenance

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Okay, so we have two data points: IC's wore out after 180 hours, yours after 250. That's useful information.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 am

It might have been more helpful if the Super-PID had counted rotations rather than (or in addition to) hours.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Paul Sgrillo

Post by Paul Sgrillo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:47 pm

I have had to replace the brushes twice. Each time with about two hundred plus hours. Recently I noticed new noise from the router and turning it by hand realized that the bearings were where it was eminating from. The collet end to be more precise. Decided to replace both because at this time I have over 5 hundred hours on it. Disassembly was good until I came to removing the gland nut on the collet end. It is made of plastic and the heat from the bearing made it seize to the housing making it impossible to remove without damaging it. Along with the plastic gland nut is the plastic bearing insert where the bearing is housed. I have not tried to remove the bearing from it after it came out of the housing with the bearing still inside it. Looks like it has also stuck itself to the bearing and will be damaged during removal. I have ordered a new gland nut and insert. Already acquired the bearings but now have to wait to get the nut and insert. Why a poor design choice for an otherwise nice product. Would recommend ordering the gland nut and insert for anyone who needs to replace the bearings. This tool was never designed with the continuous running we put it through doing some of The detailed projects done on our Shapeokos and the heat generated will have a very negative impact on the plastic bearing hardware.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Yeah, it's my understanding that the bearing mounting hardware on the Makita is metal, which makes me glad I made that choice.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Just installed new brushes again at 372 hours (first set made it to 250 hours). Interesting that this time they lasted only half as long. I know I was doing a lot more plastic cutting at lower RPMs, but that is a pretty big difference. Most of my cutting occured at 20K - 26K RPMS instead of the 14K-18K (I was too lazy to check my numbers before I posted and just gave it a WAG) when I was cutting mostly plastic.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Paul Sgrillo

Post by Paul Sgrillo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 am

Although the commutator being copper does not need to be shiny copper for proper conduction, it does need to be smooth. When I replaced my bearings, I used a very fine diamond contact dressing tool to polish my commutator and also installed new brushes. Also the slots between the com segments need to be cleaned of carbon residue. If there is carbon buildup it can cause bad brush commutation and cause excessive wear and you may notice abnormal sparking similar to what you get when the brushes are worn down to the point proper brush pressure isn't maintained. One final thing which would be hard to make sure of is the brush composition. If the brushes are too soft for their application the will wear rapidly, too hard and they could potentially cause excessive commutator wear.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 am

I would like to say one thing about The DEwalt 611.
That is if it starts to arc around the brushes then it is time to take apart clean up the copper where the brushed rub with fine emery cloth.
Replace the brushes.
If anything else is wrong then it is time to replace.it
At the price point of that router it makes it a throw away.
Jeff

SamV

Post by SamV » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Heya, I have quite a few hand held routers and there's definitely a correlation between brush life and how hard the unit has been pushed in use.