Earth Grounding a Dewalt DWP611 (110V)

RoguePirin

Earth Grounding a Dewalt DWP611 (110V)

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:29 am

I haven't completed my build yet, so I don't know if I have the USB disconnect issue. However, I am modifying my DWP611 to work with a SuperPID, and I figured I would replace the 2 conductor power cord with a 3 conductor power cord as long as I had the router opened up for modification.

The first thing I did was examine the existing power cord, as it felt different than most extension cords that I have used. I noticed 2 things:
1) the cord material itself had more of a grippy/rubbery feel to it instead of a smooth/plastic feel to it
2) the marking on the cord indicated that it was insulated up to 90°C
31-DWP611PowerCord.jpg
31-DWP611PowerCord.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
I have seen on the forums that people have replaced the cord with a standard computer/printer power cable. However, when I examined the ones I had on hand, I noticed that the cord material felt smooth and plastic-like and the markings on the cord stated it was only insulated up to 60°C. Going to the hardware store for a regular 18 AWG extension cord yielded the same results (all cords were plastic-like and only insulated up to 60°C). I didn't want to replace my DWP611 power cord with one that had a lower temperature rating.
30-StandardUSCord.jpg
30-StandardUSCord.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
I ended up finding a cord on Amazon from Superior Electric. The description indicated that the cord material was "Case/Insulation: Rubber/Jute Fiber", and I could read the printing on the cord in the picture, which read 105°C. Thankfully, when the cord arrived, it was just as described.
32-SuperiorElectricPowerCord.jpg
32-SuperiorElectricPowerCord.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Last edited by RoguePirin on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

RoguePirin

Earth Grounding a Dewalt DWP611 (110V) - Continued

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:32 am

With the cover off of the DWP611, I noticed a small circular indentation under the existing power cord. I thought that this would be a good place to route the earth ground wire as it didn't need any routing space inside the router if I just went straight down:
33-EarthGroundHoleLocation.jpg
33-EarthGroundHoleLocation.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
I drilled a 1/8" hole in that spot for the grounding wire to run externally:
34-EarthGroundHoleDrilled.jpg
34-EarthGroundHoleDrilled.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:38 am

When replacing the cord, DO NOT FORGET to take the strain relief and snap-on-ferrite off of the old cable and transfer it to the new one before doing any other modifications. The most complicated part of replacing the existing power cord is the hot/black wire that runs to the ON/OFF switch. The existing wire terminates in a spade connector with a 90° bend.
35-OriginalPowerSwitch.jpg
35-OriginalPowerSwitch.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
All of the spade connectors that I have come straight out the back. When I put a connector onto my replacement cord's black wire, I could not fit it back into the router housing as it stuck too far out the back. I ended up just bending it until it fit; I got really lucky here, as I don't think I had a mm more of space to work with. If anyone does this modification, I suggest just cutting the old wire and splicing it to the new cord's black wire to keep the 90° spade. Soldering together and wrapping in heat shrink is probably your best bet.

Anyway, here is the switch put back into the DWP611 housing. You can see it is an incredibly tight fit:
36-NewPowerSwitchWire.jpg
36-NewPowerSwitchWire.jpg (79.51 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Last edited by RoguePirin on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 am

The next thing I did was route the green Earth ground wire out the hole I drilled, and then I put the cord in place and screwed it down. Once secured, I routed the neutral/white wire to its connection point and cut/stripped/installed it there. With the cord screwed down, I could tuck the new earth ground wire in snugly:
37-NewGroundWireInside.jpg
37-NewGroundWireInside.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
From the outside, I stripped and terminated the earth ground wire with a ring. I unscrewed the screw attached to the housing and put the ring on there. This provided a solid connection to the metal spindle enclosure:
38-NewGroundWireOutside.jpg
38-NewGroundWireOutside.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
I tested the continuity between the earth ground plug pin and the DWP611 metal housing... check. I also plugged it in and turned it on using the power switch. Everything works great. The only thing I have left to do for this is put the cover back on. It is possible that the earth ground wire inside the housing (that I tucked in) will be in the way of me closing the case, but I can always cut/file away any of the lid that gets in the way. Once I finish my mods for the SuperPID, I will close the router up.
Last edited by RoguePirin on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cvoinescu

Re: Earth Grounding a Dewalt DWP611 (110V)

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:31 pm

It's a good idea to use rubber-insulated cable on your tools. Especially if the tool came with a flexible rubber-insulated cable, do not replace it with a PVC-insulated one. This is for flexibility, resistance to repeated bending, and resistance to abrasion, not just for the temperature rating. Another thing to look for is how the conductors are stranded: in ordinary flex, they have a small number of strands, and are not designed to be flexed all the time; those in extra-flexible cable have many fine strands, so they withstand repeated bending much better.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the good tip cvoinescu. I guess I got lucky with a rubber cord just by trying to maintain the temperature rating.

heathenx

Post by heathenx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:56 am

Just found this thread. Excellent write-up. I'm going to do this straight away. Thank-you.
Shapeoko 3, #405 / Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2, limit switches

Hemikiller

Post by Hemikiller » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:53 pm

The cord stock is an SJ cable, which you can purchase at any decent hardware store, big box hardware or electrical supply house and then install a heavy duty three prong male plug to suit your locale. I don't see how temp rating would have any effect on this application, but you definitely want a flexible SJ/SJO/ SJOOW rated cable. SJOOW rating has superseded SJ & SJO.

http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx ... joow-cable

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 am

What and beautiful and elegant solution. Since I was too impatient and too cheap to order a new cord from Amazon, I developed the following solution.

I attached a ground wire to the router body. This ground wire was wrapped around the router's AC power cord, ending at a standard 3 prong plug. The ground wire was attached to the ground prong of this plug. To use, both plugs are plugged into the same power strip. Continuity checks showed the body of the router was connected to the ground prong on the power strip.

This quick and dirty kludge may have solved my mid job stop problems as well. Until using the double plug I had never completed a job using the Porter Cable 1.25 inch mortising bit. I completed this job twice and filled my garage with MDF dust.

Bob

Photo attached.
Attachments
SO3plugV2.jpg
Double plugs
SO3plugV2.jpg (323.74 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 am

Excellent the machine is working.

Ghastly the airborne MDF dust. Please work. Up dust collection and an air filtration system.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)