Australian DPW611?

patonclover

Australian DPW611?

Post by patonclover » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:50 am

My first post so please be kind. Just finished assembling my new S3XL and very impressed with the quality. Now I am thinking about the right spindle to fit it.

It seems that the Dewalt DPW611 is not available in Australia but a Dewalt D26204K-XE 900W Premium Kit seems to be an equivalent machine. That number may refer to to the kit which includes plunge and fixed base. Does anyone know if in fact this is a 'drop-in' replacement for a DPW611?

You folks in the US don't know just how well off you really are when you can buy the DPW611 for about $120 (Amazon). The best price I can find for this Dewalt D2604K-XE here in Australia is $389 ($US295) and Dewalt's recommended retail price is $550 ($US412). Oh well! thems the breaks.

CastIrony

Re: Australian DPW611?

Post by CastIrony » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:15 am

Yes that looks exactly like the DWP611PK.

If you can find a D26200, it's the 230v version of the 611 without the plunge router base. I know they sell them in the UK, so if they're not available in Australia you might still be able to import one and change the plug and still pay less than the D26204K-XE.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 am

Dewalt Australia only lists: http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/pro ... o/D26204K/ (added that link to: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/DWP611 --- if you buy from somewhere, please let us know or get an account and add it) More options at: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options

There's a "Where to buy" button which will hopefully help.

You might be able to get a Makita for less --- it's what I use (but you'd still need / want to source a 1/8" collet) --- should be able to get a 65mm spindle mount of eBay (or 2mm will 70mm tubing for a shim)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Thank you CastIrony and WillAdams. One of the problems when getting older (I'm on the far side of 75) is that the grey matter doesn't work as it once did. A few years ago I did just what CastIrony suggested and bought a Dewalt Router that wasn't available in AU from the UK at a reasonable price. When considering the purchase of the D26204-XE it didn't occur to me to do the same again. I have checked the UK prices on the D26200 and if I can get a reasonable delivery charge it should come in fairly attractive. I'll update on this later for other AU user's interest.

Will re the use of the Makita, would you believe I already have a Makita but am unwilling to sacrifice it to the CNC. I love it and it gets pretty constant use in it's own right. I would consider buying another ($AU200) for the SO3xl but are concerned about the availability of a 1/8" collet and also the mounting. The other thing I will probably do a little way down the track is to run the spindle with a SuperPID and I am unsure about the Makita suitability for role. I might dash off an email to the SuperPID people. Thanks again, Patrick

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:56 am

My pleasure.

FWIW, that's why most stuff gets posted to the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:25 am

I don't know about the mounting, but Elaire sells a 1/8" collet for Makita routers. Check if your model number is on there.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:29 am

For mounting a 65 mm router in a 69 mm mount a length of 70 mm tubing w/ a 2 mm wall thickness works.

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Thank you CastIrony for the info on the Makita Collets. I emailed SuperPID about fitting one to the R0700 Makita and was a bit disappointed with the response.

“Super-PID is universally compatible with all the routers available on the market, once the router internal speed control and/or soft-start are disabled.”

I was hoping for something a little more positive. To their credit they sent me a folder of pix showing the modifications to a range of routers but the R0700 was not among them. I am not concerned about the electrical modification having spent a career in electronics but I am concerned about fitting the IR speed detector. There is no room outside the R0700 to fit the device and although I haven’t yet taken the back off the Makita there would appear to be pretty crowded inside.

I have also heard back from the UK suppliers about importing the Dewalt from there. While it does work out a bit less expensive I am wondering whether the extra effort is worth it considering there would be no warranty on the machine.

My thinking now is to just go with the Makita - sans PID, the Elaire collets (as suggested by CastIrony) and the a 65mm mount or 2mm shim as suggested by Will. In the meantime I might just pull the back off my present R0700 to see what it looks like inside. Thanks for your input and patience.

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 am

Well I pulled the back off the Makita R0700 and as I guessed it's pretty busy in there. I doubt very much that one would be able to fit an IR speed sensor in there although that statement doesn't take into account the ingenuity of many on this forum.

What I did find however is that the R0700 and presumably is variants is fitted like the Dewalt DWP611 with its own speed maintaining regulator. This probably doesn't work nearly as well as a SuperPID and would lack the bells and whistles of the latter but it works and seems to work well. In all the time I have used this router in the hand I have never really taken any notice of the speed regulation except to set it to the appropriated speed for the job at hand.

For interest below is an commented image of the R0700 with the back off. Of particular interest is the Variable Reluctance (VR) pickup for speed regulation and the epoxy sealed electronics module. Hope this is of some help to others.
Attachments
R0700__Open.jpg
R0700__Open.jpg (77.42 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:38 pm

My advice is to skip the SuperPID for now. The Makita already has good built-in speed control -- the only downside is that you can't control its speed from the program, but you don't need that as often as you'd think. Start with manual spindle control, or a simple on/off relay, and see how that goes. The relay gets you 90% there for 5% of the cost. You can always add the SuperPID later.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk