Australian DPW611?

patonclover

Re: Australian DPW611?

Post by patonclover » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you cvoinescu. When I discovered that the Makita had a regulated speed control that's pretty much what I decided to do. Thanks to all for help.

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:42 am

New Makita arrived today, all that remains is to find a shim to fit it into the Dewalt size spindle mount. Will visit the plumbing section of the local hardware. Will order Elair Collet then I should be up and running - well except for waste/surface board. Still thinking about that one.

Present idea is a piece of 16mm MDF with a pattern of about about 60 x M6 T-Nuts pocketed from underneath. Should work OK but cannot figure out how to rout out the holes and pockets since some will need to be outside the reach of both axis of the spindle cutter on my SO 3XL. Any ideas apart from manually doing the exercise on the drill press (which is my current thinking).

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 am

At: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Workpiece I documented:
Wasteboard workholding w/ HDPE Wasteboard, T-nuts and hardware workholding boot-strapped on the SO3: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6045
Go to an automotive / four wheel customizer --- get a length of 70mm diameter 2mm aluminum tubing used for exhaust systems --- cut to length and cut a ~1/4" slot out of it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

patonclover

Post by patonclover » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks Will for referring me to your thread - Making a spoilboard/T-nut workholding system. Pretty much answers my question. Also for the 70mm Aluminium pipe suggestion.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:33 pm

My pleasure!

FWIW Tubing, not pipe.

Tubes are structural and measured by outer diameter, pipes carry stuff and are (edit: typically) measured by interior dimension.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:02 pm

WillAdams wrote:pipes carry stuff and are me a used by interior dimension.
In the interest of being pedantic (yay!), I disagree. Not all pipes are measured by interior diameter.

British domestic plumbing uses 15, 22 and 28 mm water pipes (and increasingly often 10 mm for central heating). These are all outer diameters. This is made more clear by the fact that copper and plastic pipe have the same outer diameter, even though plastic pipe has much thicker walls. This makes sense because connectors and fittings attach on the outside of the pipe, so it's more useful to standardize the outer diameter. For the same reason, hose, where connectors go inside, is standardized by bore size (inner diameter).

Waste pipe, however, is less logical. It comes in two types, both available nominally in 40 mm and 32 mm: a polypropylene version designed for push-fit connectors, which is 40 mm OD, and a PVC version designed for solvent-weld fittings, which is 40 mm ID (43 mm OD); same for the 32 mm size: it's 32 mm OD in PP but 35 mm OD in PVC, and both are sold as "32 mm". Compression fittings exist that work with both types. In a way, this is actually good, because clueless DIYers can't be tempted to try to solvent-weld PVC fittings onto PP pipe. Funnily enough, PVC elbows and tees from the same manufacturer used to be labelled "40 mm" eight years ago, and are labelled "43 mm" now, even though they're otherwise identical. This is a label on the molded part itself; they're still sold as "40 mm".
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Just to further that, in the US, we have pipe which is nominal in size. Different thicknesses of wall are related to a schedule number, but the pipe is always the same OD for the same size pipe. For example: a nominal 3/4 inch pipe is actually 1.05 inches OD, and schedule 40 has a 0.113 inch wall while a schedule 80 pipe has a 0.154 inch wall thickness. The ID changes with the schedule number, but all of the same basic size pipe are the same OD. Since fittings are applied to the outside, they can all be made the same, but with differing pressure ratings. How is pipe measured in the EU? Can we have a learning session here?
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.