My MBE Extruder Build Log (was Eye candy...)

deejayspinz

Re: My MBE Extruder Build Log (was Eye candy...)

Post by deejayspinz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 pm

WillAdams wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to a write-up on the wiki --- I really want to have printing functionality on my unit before my summer vacation.

The dual-functionality is very appealing --- would there be an advantage to / possibility of using both tools simultaneously? That'd help make up for the loss of working area. Perhaps using a cutter to machine / reach under overhangs?

Alternately, have you considered some sort of sliding dovetail quick release toolchange system?

William
I'm impressed with the initial results as this is my first print, but there is still lots of fine tuning to do.
- I think there are issues with the layer height. Currently have mine at .25 (nozzle is .35) and it appears to be going back over itself (I can see the extruder head shaking as it goes back over previously laid down filament).
- This will definitely need some sot of quick release mech. I am still not entirely sure if keeping the DW660 on there is such a good move. It adds a lot of weight and I think the distance from the Z base may be causing more shaking during rapid changes in Z and X/Y. I'm going to try to see if I can come up with some sort of quick release for both the DW660 and the Extruder that way I can hot swap both of them.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm

deejayspinz wrote: - I think there are issues with the layer height. Currently have mine at .25 (nozzle is .35) and it appears to be going back over itself (I can see the extruder head shaking as it goes back over previously laid down filament).
Did you ``tram'' the working surface w/ a broad cutting bit?

Bridge City Tools uses a sliding dovetail to allow swapping bases on some of their planes:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... eries.html
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I've noticed that too. WillAdams, after the first couple of layers, the extruder builds its own work surface & an uneven base shouldn't matter. I can hear mine "hitting speedbumps" when working with a 25% infill. I've wondered if that's inertia and flex causing issues.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

so, I'm not alone with this issue then. It only happens with the infill. I was able to print a near perfect cube (outside walls only). Wondering if the fact that I was doing this in my garage which must have been near 0C inside had anything to do with it. :lol:

I did have a space heater blowing hot air at the surface, but i doubt it raised the temp by much.

calica

Post by calica » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Try printing some cubes at 100% in fill. You're checking if you're extruding more plastic than you should. Adjust either you E steps or your extrusion multiplier.

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

After some Mach3 and Slic3r fine tunining, here's a battery holder I printed. Still have some fine tuning to do.
uploadfromtaptalk1360326642063.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360326642063.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Sent from my thingamabobber tablet using Tapatalk