RepStrapOko

madmike88

Re: RepStrapOko

Post by madmike88 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I print PLA on 2 stacked $2 8.5x10 picture frame glass from Walmart. I use Elmer's stick glue for kids on the glass to help the parts stick. You don't have to use it very often.

With a Arduino Mega and RAMPS boards being reasonably priced, wouldn't it be better to use it to mill with? That way you have one controller for both.

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2012/08/ha ... toolchain/

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 pm

My plan is to use an azteeg x5 mini to replace the Arduino/gshield AIUI, it can be used for both milling and printing.

If it works out, I'll also implement a driveshaft and add a 4th axis using the spare stepper motor.

Thanks for the idea of using cheap doubled up glass for a bed--- that sounds quite workable.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

skantron

Post by skantron » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Will, I have been thinking about using the shapeoko as a repstrap... have you seen the "isaac" mendle variation? http://reprap.org/wiki/Isaac I'm not interested in using the shapeoko as a reprap base, because I think it's just going to be too dusty, and I would rather have two machines for the two different processes, but milling out the pieces instead of having a weird 'in-between' repstrap stage makes a certain amount of sense to me. I can't find any info of people using it other then the people that are selling it, but the drawings and STLs are available (though it looks like they are off by scale by a factor of 10). Barring that, could you get the intended 3d printer electronics and extruder, and use the motors and chassis of the shapeoko as the repstrap to get off the ground for the a reprap?
- Shapeoko2 #4557, NEMA 23

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 am

The Isaac is interesting, thanks.

I've always had a strange fascination / penchant for multi-purpose machines /devices, so while I understand there are certain limitations to it, I'm going to have to try the direct conversion, just to get it out of my system --- we'll see if I'm inclined to then go ahead and mill or print up a reprap or something else.

I've added nylon spacers and longer bolts (spare /left-over parts, so w/in my budget) to move the extruder out away from the gantry, so that at least is addressed. Next up is unwiring the Arduino and wiring up the extruder and Azteeg X5 Mini.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

skantron

Post by skantron » Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm now back to thinking I want to just attach an extruder to the Shapeoko and print with that for a while. Looks like I would have to get a RAMPs board and an extruder/hotend, and some endswitches (which I need anyways) and possibly a heated bed and some glass. I may use that to print parts for a printer at a later date, or still do something with CNCed parts (or a mix of the two) and then move the electronics and extruder to that.
- Shapeoko2 #4557, NEMA 23

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 pm

I've read through everything I could find, and it looks like I also need to order:

- filament (of course)
- high temperature wire (ideas on where to get this locally?
- a pair of 12v fans (one to cool the extruder, the other the electronics)

Anything else I'm needing, but don't know that I need?

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Can't you turn the extruder 90 degrees, then flip the entire machine on end? You'd then get a huge height build platform, and it would likely give you more travel on the former Z axis by removing the height of the extruder from the issue.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 pm

I suggested that once upon a time.

Catalin pointed out some physical difficulties w/ it --- moreover, at that point you might as well make an Ordbot.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:35 am

Well, I've got my first pass at this done, save for working up some sort of elevated bed. I'm going to forgo powering it up this evening, instead I'll (re)test the connections tomorrow and then try it. Need to puzzle out how to test the thermistor and heating unit though --- anyone have a link which explains that in layman's terms?

Off to work on the presentation proper.... for those who're curious, the History of CNC portion is available here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CNC_History --- please feel free to edit / improve / comment / kibbitz / ignore.

madmike88

Post by madmike88 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Will, as long as you have the proper thermistor chosen in your firmware, just hook it up and heat the hotend in your host software. If it heats and the thermistor is reporting temp then do the Marlin PID Autotune command and enter the results in your firmware or EEPROM.

http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

That should do you.