WIndows 8 native 3d-printing

DevinTX

WIndows 8 native 3d-printing

Post by DevinTX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I ran across this while going through the morning email

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672910/mic ... king-print

WOW. Soon my grandkids wont need me to bring their pictures to "life" lol

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: WIndows 8 native 3d-printing

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:45 pm

I predict a new rash of printer driver issues and incompatibilities and yet another Microsoft ``standard''.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Tom Smith

Re: WIndows 8 native 3d-printing

Post by Tom Smith » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm

WillAdams wrote:I predict a new rash of printer driver issues and incompatibilities and yet another Microsoft ``standard''.
Well, while the odds of MS bunging something up are indeed above average, this is good news in general. Moving 3d printing further into the limelight is only going to be good for the technology as a whole. And frankly, the rash of 3d "printer driver" issues can't get that much rash-ier than it currently is. (Tom pulls safety pin out of fire extinguisher, just in case...)

Yes, there will be closed source solutions. Yes, there will be problems. Yes, the flame wars between open source inventors and closed source corporations will continue. But the sooner this technology becomes ubiquitous, the better, IMHO. Adding OS level integration seems like a good step, regardless of how wobbly that step might be :)

Tom