3-D printer based on MakerSlide, built using eShapeoko parts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: 3-D printer based on MakerSlide, built using eShapeoko p

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 am

As a point of comparison, you may want to look at an Ord Bot, which also uses Makerslide.

Here's a variation of questions we've not pondered enough:

What would be the most efficient hybrid frame design for a (e)ShapeOko-derived machine which could be converted between milling and printing?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

eagletree

Post by eagletree » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:05 am

I will check out the Ord Bot. Thanks for the information.

Are you thinking something like a detachable or retracting table to use as a switch selectable Z axis? Pop off the router and mount, then mount the extruder? X and Y are the same as they are now? I could imagine something like that. Could make for a very large printer on x and y, but of course Z would be more limited than even the smallest printers unless it was built with its base for the table far below the bottom of the mill. Indeed, it seems like it could retract below the mill when not in use, and the waste board would be inserted back on to cover it. I know nothing about 3D printers as you can probably tell. We just have the Affinia and it is extremely plug and play.

Since I will have a larger mill done in the next couple of months, converting my existing one to something else is intriguing. I never planned to use the first one for actual projects, it was just to become acquainted such that when I do build the final one, it would be more accurate and usable without a bunch of fussing.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 am

Just finished the conversion angle --- see the wiki http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/RepStrapOko and lengthy, disjointed forum discussion: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1816

As you surmised, a direct conversion has a number of compromises and is not optimal.

Rebuilding the machine as a purpose-built 3D printer is an obvious route, and should yield better results, but I wonder if a more useful hybrid than mine could be achieved.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:18 am

eagletree wrote:No, I don't really need to take any action on it now, I can get by with my sons affinity. It was just starting to seem like I'm collecting a lot of extra parts and having a printer dedicated to what I'm doing would be nice. Are you going to be selling components if you achieve a printer you are satisfied with?
Yes, that's the idea. The first prototype was fun to build because it turned out I had everything I needed already, although nothing was ideal. If you already have V-wheels, idlers and MakerSlide, you'll need exactly 16 custom parts (the bed, the X carriage, two motor brackets, two idler brackets, two belt clamps, two Z carriages, two Z motor brackets, two bearing brackets for the tips of the screws, and two Z nuts). You can make all of them on a Shapeoko. Actually, I think you can make good approximations of them with a chop saw and a drill press.
WillAdams wrote:What would be the most efficient hybrid frame design for a (e)ShapeOko-derived machine which could be converted between milling and printing?
That isn't my goal here. I can already slap an extruder on my eShapeoko and it works. What I want is a dedicated 3D printer with a reasonable build volume (a minimum of 20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm), ideally with fewer parts than an ORD Bot. Because it's dedicated to 3D printing, it has very different rigidity requirements compared to a milling machine, so it can be built more economically.

For a while, I toyed with the idea of universal electronics that I could use with two separate machines, but even that it not worth the effort: let each machine have its dedicated electronics. I want the 3D printer to be self-contained, so that I can lug it around easily in one piece. A foldable Y axis, so that it packs in a more suitcase-friendly volume, would be a nice bonus.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:20 pm

The universal controller thing seems to be quite nicely addressed by the Azteeg X5 mini --- the machine configuration is just a text file --- keep multiples and rename them before booting (it'd be great if there was a way to cause/allow selection during boot though).

Agree that the differing speed/rigidity needs make the design of a hybrid machine a huge challenge, which would probably be solved by money, which makes it less interesting to me.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm

WillAdams wrote:The universal controller thing seems to be quite nicely addressed by the Azteeg X5 mini --- the machine configuration is just a text file --- keep multiples and rename them before booting (it'd be great if there was a way to cause/allow selection during boot though).
I don't mind using the same type of controller on several machines; I do mind using the same controller, though. I would like the one on the 3D printer to be bolted to it, along with the power supply, to make a self-contained unit that can be carried with one hand. I would not like the controller as a separate box, nor would I like to have to detach it and undo and redo a bunch of connectors when I'm done 3D printing and I want to begin milling on the other machine. I already have a number of controllers: a Smoothieboard still in its box, a TinyG, two RAMPS derivatives (a RUMBA and my own perf board build), and a few GAUPS shields -- so I'm just going to use the RUMBA, and, when I run into loads of spare time, try the Smoothie too.

Also, if this is going to fly commercially, it needs a capable and reliable, but inexpensive, controller -- the Azteeg X5 mini may be nice, but it's not cheap, especially for a four-driver unit.

eagletree

Post by eagletree » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 pm

cvoinescu wrote:... I can already slap an extruder on my eShapeoko and it works. What I want is a dedicated 3D printer with a reasonable build volume (a minimum of 20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm), ideally with fewer parts than an ORD Bot. Because it's dedicated to 3D printing, it has very different rigidity requirements compared to a milling machine, so it can be built more economically.
Did you actually test this out. I'm looking to use many printed parts on the next build and I would not mind just using this Shapeoko2 as a printer after a few tests with the router (I have very low confidence that the 1000mm x 1000mm I built this at, is going to be much good at milling, given that I've done nothing but extend the stock build). If the accuracy is sufficient for the 3D Printer, I'd be interested in what you used for a controller and extruder. I have the GRBLShield/Arduino, a TinyG, an RPi, a BBB and a pcDuinoV3 as possible components. I would be stuck with a 3 inch vertical maximum, but I could do a lot even with that limit, especially given the lack of limits on X and Y.

I will still be interested in what you come up with as a kit for a more sane sized printer. The prototype looks quite cool. Even purchasing the remaining parts you mentioned, would not be a significant outlay.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I actually used my eShapeoko as a 3D printer before milling. I used a RAMPS derivative for control (with Marlin firmware), a Greg's Wade extruder with a J-Head MK V-B hot end (with the resistor replaced with a different value of the same type, for use at 24 V). I printed PLA on unheated kapton tape on wood, and it stuck reasonably well. I did not print ABS because I did not bother with a heated bed.

eagletree

Post by eagletree » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Thank you. I'll research those components. I already asked my brother to show me what it takes to build the heated bed since he put one on his printer. We've only used ABS on all the stuff we print here with my son's Afinia, he's got four rolls in his room spare so I'd want to take advantage of that.

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Too cool! I would love to own a little low cost 3D printer. What will the capabilities of the machine be (print resolution, speed, ect) ?