3-D printer based on MakerSlide, built using eShapeoko parts

cvoinescu

Re: 3-D printer based on MakerSlide, built using eShapeoko p

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm

It's going to be very similar in performance to an ORD Bot. A lot depends on the extruder and on the choice of motors. Hopefully, it'll be better than an ORD Bot (I've tried to address a few small problems), but the jury is still out on that. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

LouisV

Post by LouisV » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Awesome. I'll most certainly be following this thread. I would love to own one. Maybe I can use the money that I get from selling off parts of the old cnc to build your design. :)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm

You can probably use some of the parts. There's some MakerSlide in the printer (4 x 375 mm), some 20 mm x 40 mm extrusion (2 x 440 mm), 14 or 16 V-wheels, two idlers, two belt pulleys, some belt. I'm switching to GT2 pulleys and belt, but based on my experience with the eShapeoko as a 3D printer, MXL works fine too.

Halfdead

Post by Halfdead » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 am

cvoinescu wrote:It's going to be very similar in performance to an ORD Bot. A lot depends on the extruder and on the choice of motors. Hopefully, it'll be better than an ORD Bot (I've tried to address a few small problems), but the jury is still out on that. :)

Which problems?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Halfdead wrote:Which problems?
The original ORD Bot has fairly floppy Z motor mounts, which make it very sensitive to imperfections in the Z threaded rod. It has been updated in the meantime, with thicker motor mounts and two-piece lifts that don't constrain the screw, so that's no longer a problem.

The ORD Bot has some resonances that can become apparent in the prints. The blind joints I use are stiffer than brackets, so they should improve that a little. I tried to make the carriages sit as close to the MakerSlide as possible, by moving the belt to the side. The ORD Bot X motor is mounted on long spacers, which I avoided.

As I said: small (and probably subjective).