Extruders

jluther

Re: Extruders

Post by jluther » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 am

Has anyone tried out the Qu-bd extruder? www.qu-bd.com I ordered one and got put on backorder for the last week and now I'm planning a move for business so I'm probably going to have to cancel the order until I get to my new home... However, it looks cool like a stepsruder and the base model is $34 without the NEMA 17, $49, with the NEMA 17, $63 with a heater cartridge instead of a power resistor.

PAPPP

Post by PAPPP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Ooh, that looks nice. I was eyeballing the "Steve's Extruder" with Hot End kit from SeeMeCNC for $65 with no motor as a possible next project after I get my Shapeoko going, the Qu-bd extruder is the only price-competitive design I've come across.

The Cu-bd looks to be cheaper and more compact, but some of the RepRap folks who already have their hands on them are reporting only moderate success, in terms of difficult filament changes, tightening issues, and a OAL too short to mount directly to a lot of RepRap design's carriages (I think that last one might be a feature on a shapeoko). The Steve's Extruder design is apparently easier to work with in terms of filament changes and such, and will accept 1.75mm and 3mm filament, so I'll still call them comparable. I'm impressed with the SeeMeCNC "Tweaked, injection-molded RepRap Huxley" design/price point in general - getting a basic electromechanically complete 3D printer for $190/ complete plug-and-play kit for $550 is a hell of an accomplishment.

I'm still in the "teasing myself" phase of getting 3D printing capability in trying to avoid stacking too many projects while I not-entirely-patiently wait for my Inventables Shapeoko kit to arrive, but damn do I want it.

jluther

Post by jluther » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Heh I have 4 tool heads (1W laser, wade's extruder printhead, dremel, vinyl cutting knife) to install already, along with a proprietary Epoxy prototyping solution concept to realize. I'm just not very impressed with the wade's extruder hotend I have, the ABS once it cools is a %!$@$#BLEEEEEEEEP%#$@@ ING thing to remove and clean.. I liked working on FDM titans, not the easiest system but atleast I didnt need a drill bit to clean it... but if it can build, and cut and include a tool changer.... :) :) :)

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 pm

I've got a Qu-bd. I don't have any experience with others so I can't compare it. I had trouble running PLA - the material would catch or freeze and the feed gear would strip the filament and it would have to be removed, cut, and re-inserted every 10 seconds or so. I ended up manually pushing it through and got a really terrible first print. Then I think I blew the controller board, so I haven't messed with it much since.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Speaking to someone who does a lot of RepRap stuff at my local hackspace, they said they had tried many extruders and hot ends and found the Reifsnyder (J-Head) hot ends to be the best. Their preferred cold end is a variation of the Wade extruder, something very similar to this one.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 am

A bit of an old thread, but I thought I should post my extended difficulties with the Qu-bd. First up, the temperature is inconsistent. The thermistor is held in place by either kapton tape or the pressure from the insulation. If it doesn't make good contact, the temperature will vary wildly. A little thermal adhesive should fix that (I hope). Of course a better design in the first place would have gone a long way here.

Some people complain about the stepper not getting enough grip - I think that part's alright. A more friction-free design would be better, but I haven't even gotten to the point where that's been a problem.

I think the main tube is too small for PLA. PLA gets gummy before reaching extrusion consistency, then gets thin & watery if heated too far (because the thermistor wasn't making contact with the heater block, perhaps?). I think the gummy stage gets compressed by the solid stage & clogs the barrel. I've heard people have drilled out their tubes & lined them with other materials - I don't have the resources for that. So my fix is that I'm going to try ABS instead.

Of course this is all waiting on the replacement heater cartridge since the brittle ceramic wore away & the wires shorted, glowing red & heating up the entire length of the supply cable. Maybe there was a reason it was a third the price of a Makerbot Mk7.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm

My qu-bd seems to be working really well now after extensive mods and headaches.
Wound up replacing the drive gear with a MK7 style and am using the "minimalistic mk7" design from thingiverse instead of the qu-bd set-screw arrangement.
The hot-end is still 100% qu-bd. Although I drilled out the filament tube to 2.4mm and am using their newer .4mm nozzle.

At this point I would (and have, for my brothers) buy more hot-ends since I think I've got it figured out.

Rumor (on buildlog.net) has it that qu-bd may replace their set-screw setup with a (Bart's) ball-bearing drive in a future revision.

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm

I will probably order one of these kits from Bart when they are back in stock: http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... a8pnnm7is6

Lots of good information about difficulties and workarounds people have been having with the Qu-bd extruder here: http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?i ... provements
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 pm

I gave up on my qubd, and I'm going back to Wades Relaoded/Jhead. I bought Barts filament tensioner, new Hyena drive gears, got the new design barrel and nozzle, and still couldn't get consistant extrusion of PLA.

The good thing is the motor, thermistor, and heater cartridge all work perfectly, so I can use them for my build.

I'm also working on a Shapeoko-cuttable extruder. It's quite annoying to have all these great extruder designs but no way to print them unless you have a 3D printer, while my Shapeoko sits there not being used. If I ever get it working I'll post it up.

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Good luck, and keep me informed!