Kinematic possibilities for 3D printing

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Kinematic possibilities for 3D printing

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Came across this article:

http://technabob.com/blog/2013/12/18/ki ... nting-app/

and thought it really did a lot to work around limitations of 3D --- especially interesting is the possibility of ``scrunching up'' an object before printing so as to be able to create an object larger than your printer working area and then flattening it out to a much larger final size (combine that w/ carbon fiber struts and you could do some really interesting things).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Gadgetman!

Re: Kinematic possibilities for 3D printing

Post by Gadgetman! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Two concerns...

1. The hinges... Making hinges that lasts means a proper hinge with a pin that a part pivots around, which means it needs to be very accurate. This also sets limitations as to how small those triangles can be.
2. you probably need one of those powder-based printers as a lot of the triangles will have parts suspended with no support at all during the build process. Either that, or use a lot of support materials.

The fact that it's probably difficult to make stable constructions this way we'll overlook because it's such a neat way to make items that benefits from being unstable... ;-)

I wonder how much processing capability you need to scrunch a moderately-sized item of say 2500 triangles?
(I was once participating in the SETI projet and a couple of other distributed computing projects such as 'Folding@Home' )
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.