ShapOko as 3D printer

baz

ShapOko as 3D printer

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:14 am

Hi,
I haven’t got any experience in 3D printers, I am a complete n00b :?: But would it be possible with the correct electronics (a reprap board) and a extruder mounted in place of the hobby router, to have a simple 3D printer? Or is that too simple? Can the ShapeOko move fast enough? (I don’t know if it needs to or not, sorry!) or is the main problem the fact that the gantry bottom is near the work surface so anything that is created can only be a certain height?
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

PLHS54

Re: ShapOko as 3D printer

Post by PLHS54 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Yes, it is possible to turn the ShapeOko into a 3D printer with the correct electronics and an extruder mounted in place of a spindle. Yes, the ShapeOko should move fast enough depending on your stepper motors and electronics. The sparkfun stepper motors that are suggested on the wiki should be plenty good for this application. You are correct, you're limited in the height of whatever you want to produce because of the low height of the gantry. However, there is a workaround to this problem. It consists of raising the shapeOko up onto "legs" and installing a longer z makerslide piece and threaded rod. Hope this helps.

baz

Post by baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi PLH,
Thanks for your reply. My steppers are Nema17 so that should be ok, and I will get some custom electronics. The z axis idea is great, I hadn't thought about raising th whole machine up. When my kit arrives (hopefully soon) I will definatly do this and I will post some pics.
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store

PLHS54

Post by PLHS54 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Those steppers should be just fine as I believe that's what are used on repraps, granted those machines are much lighter, thus easier to move the mass. Just as a side note, I wouldn't cut anything with the extended z axis due to the longer moment arm that is created and when coupled with a spindle at the end you'll have all sorts of side forces acting. I haven't tested it or anything, but I doubt the Shapeoko can withstand this extra force created, and thus more deflection. It should be just fine for 3D printing because there aren't any significant forces created. Hope that makes sense.