3d printer upgrade

SnapFracturePop
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

3d printer upgrade

Post by SnapFracturePop » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 pm

I got my Shapeoko (full kit) on Friday & have been fiddling with it as much as the girlfriend allows. I love it so much that I'd like to use it during those hours of the day when my neighbors don't like to hear drilling noises. From what i can tell, I'll need to replace my electronics & buy an extruder/hot end to be able to swap on a 3d printer attachment.

I'm thinking about this extruder (single version):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu- ... r-dual-ext

For electronics, I'm looking at this:
http://ultimachine.com/content/ramps-diy-kit

Plus 4 stepper drivers at $14 each brings the 3d print upgrade to $167. Any thoughts on this configuration? An I missing something? Is there a way to modify the grblshield instead of replacing it?

Thanks!
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

PLHS54
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by PLHS54 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:27 am

That set up will work fine, provided you have an arduino Mega. I don't really know much about the grbleshield, but I'm pretty sure you can't use it for 3d printing as it doesn't have a 4th axis option to attach the extruder to. You may want to look into these electronics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140725613082?ss ... 918wt_1399
They are cheap and all you will need to do is buy 4 stepper drivers. Check this link out, these are the cheapest I've found.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... lolu+a4988

SnapFracturePop
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by SnapFracturePop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Good suggestion - thanks! I do have an Arduino Mega, but I'd like to keep it for other projects.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

esacteksab
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by esacteksab » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Saw the kickstarter. Was wondering the same thing...
Serial # 215

johnmcrin
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by johnmcrin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

3d printing has potential just a bit big at the moment and complexish

deejayspinz
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 am
Location: Burlington Ontario, Canada

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by deejayspinz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 pm

I am on a similar path (have not got the ShapeOko yet). I'm planning on using Mach3 along with the GnexLab extruder controller and the MBE extruder. I have been following this thread. BTW, I won't be using the Arduino / grbrSheild approach. Instead, I have a Chinese controller on order from Ebay. I have not confirmed if all these bits will work together, so take it with a grain of salt, but based on research, I should be ok. Once I have all the bits together and the machine built, I'll post back on my success (or failure). :shock:

jrsteensen
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by jrsteensen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:40 pm

deejayspinz wrote:I am on a similar path (have not got the ShapeOko yet). I'm planning on using Mach3 along with the GnexLab extruder controller and the MBE extruder. I have been following this thread. BTW, I won't be using the Arduino / grbrSheild approach. Instead, I have a Chinese controller on order from Ebay. I have not confirmed if all these bits will work together, so take it with a grain of salt, but based on research, I should be ok. Once I have all the bits together and the machine built, I'll post back on my success (or failure). :shock:
Looking good. One question - how to do you connect the extruder controller to your main stepper controller? (I have a 5 axis TB6560 controller on the way from China too..)

deejayspinz
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 am
Location: Burlington Ontario, Canada

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by deejayspinz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm

jrsteensen wrote:Looking good. One question - how to do you connect the extruder controller to your main stepper controller? (I have a 5 axis TB6560 controller on the way from China too..)
You don't.. I should have clarified. The Extruder motor that dispenses the filament would be controlled by either your existing controller (a 4th axis) or a separate one. The TB6560 I have will have X,Y,Z and A axis - A will be used to control the extruder motor. The GenxLab unit is there to control the heat of the extruder and the heater bed(if you have one). it only needs power. There is no hookup to the PC as it manages and monitors the temps (extruder and heater bed) onboard.

SnapFracturePop
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by SnapFracturePop » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I've just about got my 3d printer operational - all I'm missing is a bit of configuration & a couple of right angle brackets to mount the extruder. I picked up a Printrboard & a qu-bd extruder. The 12v seems to drive everything fairly well, even with the dual-Y steppers.
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

jrsteensen
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: 3d printer upgrade

Post by jrsteensen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 pm

deejayspinz wrote:You don't.. I should have clarified. The Extruder motor that dispenses the filament would be controlled by either your existing controller (a 4th axis) or a separate one. The TB6560 I have will have X,Y,Z and A axis - A will be used to control the extruder motor. The GenxLab unit is there to control the heat of the extruder and the heater bed(if you have one). it only needs power. There is no hookup to the PC as it manages and monitors the temps (extruder and heater bed) onboard.
As far as the motor goes, that was what I figured. I didn't know if this plugged into the spindle control somehow, but that makes a heck of alot more sense. I might go with the dual head extruder, since I have two spare axis on mine. (Went for the 5 axis.)

What software stack is used to control the printing? I was trying to find a Mach3 plugin, but not much luck.

Also, to run the dual extruder, would you just purchase two of the GenxLab cards? (Didn't see a triple controller on the site.)

Post Reply