My shapeoko 3d printer

jrsteensen

Re: My shapeoko 3d printer

Post by jrsteensen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 pm

oceax wrote:I have not tried to make the printrboard mill yet for the reason in atomsofts link and i have a grblShield with 2.5A drivers (printrboard is 2A)
But replacing the software on the printrboard takes 30sec so switching between grbl and marlin that way is not too painfull.

And i will change my shapeoko so that i have a long y-axis and three x/z-axis for pick n place, milling, and 3d printring with three extruders.
3D printing can take time, so i want extra axis to be able to mill at the same time.
How are you planning to account for vibrations and resonance in your 3d printer head while milling (and all the shaking/vibrations caused by the tool and actual cutting) on the same Y axis?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:32 pm

So the only component shared between the 3D printer and the mill is the frame (end plates and Y rails). Everything else, including all the motors, is duplicated. It seems to me that all you need is two end plates (and a few bolts) and you can have two separate machines. Why not do that?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

oceax

Post by oceax » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 pm

I don't think vibration and resonance will be a problem from my experience with the machine so far.
Not sure, but i will give it a try.

I am currently doing some upgrades that will make it more stable. I will have two timing belts for y-axis, one on each side.
But only one motor so there will be a shaft between x-axis plates to a pulley on the other side.
Motor shaft -> pulley -> coupler -> m8 rod -> coupler -> m5 screw -> pulley -> bearing.

Another reason for multiple machines on one y axis is to work on the same object with different tools assembly line style. If i print an object in plastic i might want to do something more like adding threading for screws automatically.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 am

oceax wrote:Another reason for multiple machines on one y axis is to work on the same object with different tools assembly line style. If i print an object in plastic i might want to do something more like adding threading for screws automatically.
That would actually be extremely cool, if it worked!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

T4b

Post by T4b » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 pm

cvoinescu wrote:
oceax wrote:Another reason for multiple machines on one y axis is to work on the same object with different tools assembly line style. If i print an object in plastic i might want to do something more like adding threading for screws automatically.
That would actually be extremely cool, if it worked!
Wouldn't probably a tool changer be cheaper? So unless you want to extensively use both x+z-axes in parallel I think a tool changer would be the better solution.
Couldn't tell how to build one though, would need to think more about that, but I think that should be doable.
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.

jluther

Post by jluther » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:58 pm

I would assume the biggest need for multi axis would be that the accuracy of a printer is low and could be improved by milling each layer after it is printed. Tool changing seems like the best option in my idea, as the extruder has to get out of the way regardless.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 am

Did you upgrade to the Acme screw for the Z? If not, are you encountering any wobble?