First 3D printer

thebenj

First 3D printer

Post by thebenj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:29 pm

can anyone recommend a 3d printer or diy kit on a budget ideally in the uk?

although i say budget i still would be looking for something that can make good quality parts. been looking around on eBay and unsure about the quality.

anyone with experiences they would like to share?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: First 3D printer

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:44 pm

I link-dumped into the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing

Not sure how geography limits it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

thebenj

Post by thebenj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:09 pm

thanks for the reply will, not looking specifically for a shapeoko related 3d printer. more of a pre-assembled or complete kit. i don't want to make too much of a project out of it as my real project will be the eshapeoko (I'm in the que for this) and the 3d printer would be a tool to serve my eshapeoko project initially.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 am

Personally, I'm waiting for the Overlord Pro to arrive in March/April sometime:
http://www.dreammaker.cc/store/index.ph ... duct_id=51
(I backed them on Kickstarter, and will be getting it cheaper, and with the 'Black Devil' paint scheme... )

Feel free to read the latest KS update to find the 15% rebate code...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Interesting. What advantages does it offer over other Deltas? (I've been trying to decide if I should make a Delta or a Tantillus or maybe something else).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

fl0yd

Post by fl0yd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm

thebenj wrote:can anyone recommend a 3d printer or diy kit on a budget ideally in the uk?

although i say budget i still would be looking for something that can make good quality parts. been looking around on eBay and unsure about the quality.

Have a look at nophead's Mendel90 kit I have one and can't recommend it enough. And he's based in the UK.
  • Link to his blog - There's lots of good info. Even if you don't buy one, spend some time reading about his journey through the RepRap project, he's been a major influence. He has tips on how to improve/tune his kits which would apply to any you buy.
  • Link to his kits that he sells - Very well designed, rock solid from reliability and quality. While it's not $300 like a printrbot, it's a much better design and a well tuned Mendel90 will make very high quality parts.
Fl0yd

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm

The big advantage of the Overlord over other printers is their 'break resume' function, which allows you to STOP the printing at a random place, then restart it later. Useful for switching colour filament(there's functions to retract it and feed the new from the onboard control panel) or for when you want to sleep...
The Overlord Pro also has a built-in Li-ion battery, so that it won't lose its position if there's a problem with the power.
(It won't automatically continue the print, but will give you the option to do it)

Then there's the fact that the 'Black Devil' colour scheme is a Kickstarter exclusive ... It even has a RED display and RED LED lighting...
As a card-carrying member of EMMSA (Union of Evil Masterminds, Mad Scientists and Associated trades... I'm a BOFH, so yeah... 'Associated trades') I just had to have it...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

thebenj

Post by thebenj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:34 pm

fl0yd wrote:
thebenj wrote:can anyone recommend a 3d printer or diy kit on a budget ideally in the uk?

Have a look at nophead's Mendel90 kit I have one and can't recommend it enough. And he's based in the UK.
  • Link to his blog - There's lots of good info. Even if you don't buy one, spend some time reading about his journey through the RepRap project, he's been a major influence. He has tips on how to improve/tune his kits which would apply to any you buy.
  • Link to his kits that he sells - Very well designed, rock solid from reliability and quality. While it's not $300 like a printrbot, it's a much better design and a well tuned Mendel90 will make very high quality parts.
Fl0yd
excellent find! definitely something to look more into!

chomdh

Post by chomdh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm also considering my 1st 3D printer.
One thought I have is to upgrade my shapeoko2 to a 1000mm x 1000mm shapeoko3 and then use my leftover shapeoko2 rails and extra nema17s for a shapeoko based 3D printer.
Can anyone offer comments as to whether or not this is a good idea? If a mechanical only SO3 is offered, that makes half of the project a little more straightforward.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:17 am

If one has lengths of Makerslide the machines to consider building would be an Ordbot or a Delta.