Extruder overheating --- causes?

Dave Durant

Re: Extruder overheating --- causes?

Post by Dave Durant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:42 pm

WillAdams wrote:Fan --- to cool extruder
I wouldn't bother, unless it's trivially easy or you have another reason to add a fan.

You've got some (quite serious?) problem with the machine that is not due to it not having a fan.. Adding a fan might lessen the symptom but the problem will still be there.

I like cvoinescu's idea of the PID being really screwy. If nothing else, it's probably easier to test & fix firmware issues than electrical ones.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Okay, it's my understanding that the all-metal hot ends want active cooling when printing PLA, so the fan still feels right to me (it helps that I can pick it up cash-and-carry at Radio Shack on my way home).

Looking back, it seems as if this might be the chain of events:

- ran the hot end into one of the binder clips on the print bed
- perhaps this cracked something inside, creating a thermal break
- the hot end would then heat up inconsistently depending on whether or no the broken pieces were in contact w/ each other

Regardless, I have to replace the mangled hot end before I can begin testing.

Agree that once I install it I'll need to:

- verify the firmware (it's a Smoothieboard (Azteeg x5 mini) and loads that from a file --- will make sure the file isn't corrupt)
- carefully install things
- carefully test all the connections
- run temperature calibration

anything I'm missing? Hopefully third time will be the charm.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:25 pm

True, you almost certainly need a fan for an all-metal hot end with PLA, and, depending on design, ABS too. My J-Head (which is not all-metal, obviously) prints PLA without a fan with zero problems, but YMMV, and a fan is recommended. Still, the temperature excursion is a problem you need to fix.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:33 pm

Looking back, it seems as if this might be the chain of events:
It would be nicer if it was a firmware problem but this sounds like an electrical problem. Also, I would look for shorts instead of things related to thermal conductivity.

Like, if you were to picture a graph of the temperature, a flaky connection would give you a lumpy or spiky graph. Having a crack in something that's supposed to conduct heat (or some other physical heat-conducting problem) wouldn't have lumpy or spiky graph, it would just be more shallow than it should be. From what you've said, it sounds like you have a lumpy graph.

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm

cvoinescu wrote: prints PLA without a fan with zero problems.
I've never heard of this (which does not at all mean it does not exist).

What sort of feed rate do you normally print at?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Dave Durant wrote: It would be nicer if it was a firmware problem but this sounds like an electrical problem.
Okay. Suggestions on how to test this? I've got a multimeter which I barely know how to turn on.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 pm

WillAdams wrote:Suggestions on how to test this?
Sorry.. My limit on electronics maxes out at "look at all the wires and see if they're connected."

Dave Durant

Post by Dave Durant » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Any progress on chasing down this problem, Will?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 pm

I've ordered a Pico Hot End from B3 Innovations. (and it turns out I didn't need to buy the fan --- one is included w/ the hot end --- oh well, the one I've been using to cool the electronics is large and clunky and a bit loud, so I'll swap things around)

Once it arrives I'll re-wire my electronics and test it w/ the brand new hot end, thermistor, heating cartridge and fan wired in for active cooling and we'll see how things work.

William

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm

I am however, kind of regretting not getting a: http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Full-Kit/v ... -Universal

and may have to buy a second hot end (hey, I need to convert my SO1 back into a Repstrapoko!) so as to be able to do a head-to-head comparison.

William