Printer Art?

twforeman

Printer Art?

Post by twforeman » Wed May 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Had an oopsie last night printing some limit switch mounts for my Shapeoko 3.

I was printing a tall thin part and it appears to have fallen over after it was about 80% done.

Guess I'll have to try again. Putting glue stick on the tape makes the parts stick really hard, so I guess I'll have to do that for the next run.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

MeanderBolt

Re: Printer Art?

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Are you still enjoying the printer?
Being that you were already 'print' or perhaps better said, 'render' minded being involved with all the shapeoko stuff, how much of a mind shift was there to get your head straight with the 3D printing?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Designing the parts for additive manufacturing is a little different.

With subtractive manufacturing (CNC) you need to figure out how to hold the part in the various positions in order to get it into the shape you want.

With additive you need to think about areas where there is no support. You can tell the slicer to add support framework, but I haven't really tried that yet.

It's different, but not too difficult.
Ender 3 3D Printer

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 06, 2015 9:14 pm

You are trying to print this. It's a good try, but you can do better.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Hahahaha. I love angel hair pasta. :)
Ender 3 3D Printer

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:56 pm

I've started using a raft on everything as it gives a much higher success rate although it takes a little longer.

For bigger prints, it will still warp but heating the bed, even with PLA, cures that. I have an aluminum bed and haven't yet installed the bed heater but a hair dryer does a fine job of warming the bed. And the metal bed allows the use of a inductive bed sensor to auto-level. I'll never have a printer without one.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu May 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Inductive sensor? I'm intrigued. Is it something you built, or something you bought?

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Well, yes...to both. But built in the sense that I've 3d printed a mount to add to a MendelMax. Bought in the sense that I couldn't get the bed level enough to even print the holder, so I bought a Printrbot Simple Metal which comes with the sensor. It's pretty amazing for the price. It takes three measurements, calculates a planar surface and then compensates the gcode for level. The bed has to be flat but it it actually possible to print on something way put of level. The ability to do it is in Marlin, it just needs to be enabled. It can also be done with a micro switch that is moved into position to sense using a servo. That's what all the servo stuff in the code is for. The inductive or capacitive sensor has a 4-12mm sensing distance so it is just mounted above the nozzle by that distance an left in place.

This is a good place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcGFLwj0pnA

There is much ado about whether the sensor should be inductive or capacitive, what voltage they should run at, NPN or PNP, invert the output, level translate, ect.

Because my next printer will probably be a delta and those are quite hard to level properly, I decided I'd just learn how to do it. And eventually, I want to come up with a Z-sensor for my SO2/SO3. It is possible that might turn out to be IR. That is a fairly easy circuit to prototype but I don't know how accurate it can be. Delta guys also use force sensitive resistors in three places and just tap the nozzle on the bed above the FSR.

Go here for an open source IR leveling system:

https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/orm ... -board-v2/

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu May 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks. I know about Marlin's support for bed levelling, with the servo and mechanical switch. Circumventing the servo complication is a good thing, so both inductive and IR sound very good to me. I can put aluminium or copper foil on the back of the glass to give the inductive sensor something to work with that's aligned with the printing surface.

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:49 pm

I believe the IR would work with frosted glass but I have reservations about the unfrosted. It's worth a try. Or some PLA or ABS juice to try to reduce the critical angle. If the light hits at a angle grater than the critical angle, the surface may act too specular.