Anyone handy doing 3d cad modeling?

AFK66

Anyone handy doing 3d cad modeling?

Post by AFK66 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 pm

I've got a project going and need some assistance. I'm in the process of working on a carbon fiber chassis, and need to have a Kickup at the front of the chassis produced so I don't have to do any molding with the carbon and can continue to machine the main part of the chassis in 2d form.

Below are pictures of what I'd need printing, and can mail the chassis to whom ever can help me out.

Shapeoko 2 - Acme Rod/Belt Drive, Nema 23 steppers, 300 Watt Spindle - other wise stock
Shapeoko 2 inspired custom build - 1500 X 1000mm, Routakit HD Z and X axis setup, Nema 23 276oz steppers, 800 Watt Spindle, Geck 540/ Soigeneris STDR-4C controlled.

dws

Re: Anyone handy doing 3d cad modeling?

Post by dws » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Have you tried heating the carbon fiber to bend it? You will probably have to support the carbon fiber both above and below and both sides of the crease. Otherwise it will probably want to bend in the pockets. Also, if you overheat the carbon fiber, it may bubble. I would suggest trying with scraps of carbon fiber first. Depending on the thickness of the carbon fiber, it may also want to buckle up on the inside of the crease.

Where do you buy your carbon fiber sheets?

AFK66

Re: Anyone handy doing 3d cad modeling?

Post by AFK66 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:30 am

dws wrote:Have you tried heating the carbon fiber to bend it? You will probably have to support the carbon fiber both above and below and both sides of the crease. Otherwise it will probably want to bend in the pockets. Also, if you overheat the carbon fiber, it may bubble. I would suggest trying with scraps of carbon fiber first. Depending on the thickness of the carbon fiber, it may also want to buckle up on the inside of the crease.

Where do you buy your carbon fiber sheets?

I've been playing with heating it with a heat gun evenly. I've found that if I leave it at 1/8" thickness it starts to pull apart at the kickup. I've machined another with the pocket .060" deep and it seems to take the bend a lot better. I'm going to see how it hold's up, if it's durable I think I may actually end up going that route to cut extra expensive. I appreciate the help!
Shapeoko 2 - Acme Rod/Belt Drive, Nema 23 steppers, 300 Watt Spindle - other wise stock
Shapeoko 2 inspired custom build - 1500 X 1000mm, Routakit HD Z and X axis setup, Nema 23 276oz steppers, 800 Watt Spindle, Geck 540/ Soigeneris STDR-4C controlled.