IceSL

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

IceSL

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:02 am

IceSL — OpenSCAD-like GPU-accerated CSG modeler which also slices and will export to B9Creator by INRIA

http://www.loria.fr/~slefebvr/icesl/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Re: IceSL

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 am

It looks promising! I've put it on my list of things to test, near the top. Lua beats OpenSCAD's language, and the fact that you can slice the geometry directly, without going through a triangle mesh, is very nice. It allows extra information (such as changes in fill density, or simply the color) to make it from the model to the sliced object. I'm not sure how configurable the print parameters are, but that's because I haven't looked yet.

I'll definitely try it for 3D printing. But, if it can render a decent drawing-like image, or if it can export it in a format that Blender can understand, I may have found my tool for producing images like these out of a human-readable (okay, programmer-readable) text description (like LaTeX, but for assembly drawings!).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:13 am

I thought you’d like it, and was thinking of you when I posted it.

If they could expand the G-code generation to also do subtractive around the part, incl feeds and speeds and a physics engine it’d be amazing (and that petty much sums up how much harder subtractive CAM is than the already difficult additive).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:43 pm

This now has a graphical interface and script editor:
2015-09-10: New GUI with script editor and real time view updates!
http://www.loria.fr/~slefebvr/icesl/

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry to say, that doesn't tick any new boxes on my requirements. (I don't mind if a tool doesn't have a GUI or built-in editor.) Even more sorry to say, I have not had the time to check it out...
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

veng1

Post by veng1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Any idea if IceSL is better at editing .stl files from, say, Thingiverse than OpenSCAD?

I've found that to be a painful experience in OpenSCAD.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Well, the documentation is missing or badly lacking...
The example on their homepage uses a function 'emit' which isn't a name you'll find in the LUA language reference, so is a custom operator they've made.
There's no mention of any other custom operators that are used...

So I guess the only way to find out would be to ask for help on their Google group...

As for using if to control a CnC...
One user has managed to create G-code that works on his CnC:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... V9ifqZ12Tw
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.