Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

xenoputtss
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by xenoputtss » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm

So I have assembled my shapeoko and have it running. Created some gears and stuff using InkScape and successfully cut them out. I have also upgraded my shapeoko to have dual "Y" motors, increased "Y" axis length, and created a dust collector for the shop vac to accommodate my next projects which is to make some boards with my name on it.

Here is my problem. I don't know how do design this. I think I need to use a CAD program (and there are SOOOO many of those that work sooooo differently), but with work, kids, house repairs I am finding I am getting more and more frustrated with trying to figure it out on my own that I am beginning to hate the idea of (or even the acronym) CNC.

Perhaps someone can help me out by just telling me how they would do this and then I can just follow those steps. I believe this will be at least 3 steps, CAD (draw the object out), CAM (specify pocketing stuff), and RUN (watch it work incorrectly the first 5 times and make the 6th one).

TLDR;
I want to carve "MY NAME" on a board so that "MY NAME" comes out of the board (not recessed into the board). How can I do this?

edwardrford
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dixon, IL
Contact:

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by edwardrford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi xenoputts,

I know the feeling, all to well. But, with the fantastic community, you won't have to suffer the learning curve alone! I'm going to do a screencast today for you, to show you how I would do this.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll post back once the video is available on youtube.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

xenoputtss
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by xenoputtss » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 pm

edwardrford wrote:Hi xenoputts,

I know the feeling, all to well. But, with the fantastic community, you won't have to suffer the learning curve alone! I'm going to do a screencast today for you, to show you how I would do this.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll post back once the video is available on youtube.

-Edward
Oh WOW! That would so perfect.

WillAdams
Posts: 8528
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Contact:

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 pm

xenoputtss wrote:I want to carve "MY NAME" on a board so that "MY NAME" comes out of the board (not recessed into the board). How can I do this?
More or less:

Download Inkscape
install gcodetools
draw a rectangle equal to the size of the recess you want to cut, set it to black
set ``Your name'' in a font at the desired size in a light colour positioned on top of the rectangle
convert the text to paths
Select both objects
Menu Path | Difference to join them into a single path (Control -)
use the gcodetools export to gcode feature

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

xenoputtss
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by xenoputtss » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:20 pm

WillAdams wrote: More or less:

Download Inkscape
install gcodetools
draw a rectangle equal to the size of the recess you want to cut, set it to black
set ``Your name'' in a font at the desired size in a light colour positioned on top of the rectangle
convert the text to paths
Select both objects
Menu Path | Difference to join them into a single path (Control -)
use the gcodetools export to gcode feature

William
Sounds like another great plan. I will try this tonight.

edwardrford
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dixon, IL
Contact:

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by edwardrford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm

As promised




IMPORTANT NOTE: I noticed after I posted the video that I forgot to change the SVG import resolution from 72 to 90.... I put an annotation in the video to remind people to do this, but thought I'd post it here as well. Simple fix: Click Edit -> Edit Preferences -> Change the top box to 90 (if importing from inkscape as I did in the video)

Enjoy!
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

xenoputtss
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by xenoputtss » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm

edwardrford wrote:As promised
awesome!

Thanks! this is really nice and I will be doing this tonight.

xenoputtss
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by xenoputtss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

This worked out pretty well.

The only issue I ran into was with makercam.com crashing. when trying to generate paths for multiple profiles. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or not. This isn't too big of an issue as I can just generate the GCode individually.

atrueresistance
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by atrueresistance » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 pm

edwardrford wrote:As promised


IMPORTANT NOTE: I noticed after I posted the video that I forgot to change the SVG import resolution from 72 to 90.... I put an annotation in the video to remind people to do this, but thought I'd post it here as well. Simple fix: Click Edit -> Edit Preferences -> Change the top box to 90 (if importing from inkscape as I did in the video)

Enjoy!
Do you think you could create a video like this for freecad?
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

edwardrford
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dixon, IL
Contact:

Re: Burned Out and can't get started with CAD

Post by edwardrford » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 am

I could probably do this in freecad as well. Although, i have to admit my freecad skills are lacking. I still havent' made it over the learning curve, so each time I start in with a freecad project, I end up abandoning it thinking I can make it faster in XYZ... Which, as we all know, will never improve my freecad skills!

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it goes.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Post Reply