What else should I have on hand?

Talk about all things CNC
cvoinescu

Re: What else should I have on hand?

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I understand. Stripping the threads is more likely to be a problem with the short screws used with the Shapeoko. I sized mine to get 9-10 mm into the aluminum, which is less than the 2.5 to 3 times the hole diameter I saw recommended somewhere [citation needed], but not as much as to be too difficult to tap.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

will1384

Post by will1384 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 pm

If you are worried about tapping, get a tapping guide, they are about $20, have a look over here

http://www.tapguide.com

You can buy them on Amazon and eBay, there is also a round tapping guide that I have seen, that comes in metal and plastic, I would stick with metal.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 pm

What I really want is this:

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-tappi ... ,8363.html

(though I do have a similar hand-cranked drill press already)

We'd just need a bracket to one side of it to hold the MakerSlide vertical and at the right position (which would have clearance for the V rails so that one could rotate it for the second hole).

William
(but I can't see getting that or having to tap any more MakerSlide until 1.2M comes back in stock somewhere)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 pm

I did tap all my makerslide extra deep and replaced all the short bolts with 20mm long ones. Made me worry less about pulling the threads out.

As for that tapping rig, if you have a drill press you could just chuck up the tap and turn the chuck by hand. (I have one, but did not do this. ;) )
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 pm

The focus of the thread has shifted, but rather turned into a fantastic thread about something that I have some nerves about, so, please carry on. WillAdams, with your machine that you linked to, is there that much tapping that it would warrant such a device, or that a machine for having a killer looking machines sake? I understood it to be the ends of each makerslide, and looks like a few on the Z axis. Are there more?

BTW, Did you do all of the S2 Wiki? I like that there is a sense of humor in there. Sort of a Tim Alen-ish Tool Time edge to it...
"...and the flutes act as an evacuation channel. Yeah, that's right, an evacuation channel. That's bad ass...." ruh ruh ruh ruhhhh
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm

MeanderBolt wrote:The focus of the thread has shifted, but rather turned into a fantastic thread about something that I have some nerves about, so, please carry on. WillAdams, with your machine that you linked to, is there that much tapping that it would warrant such a device, or that a machine for having a killer looking machines sake? I understood it to be the ends of each makerslide, and looks like a few on the Z axis. Are there more?
That's all the tapping there is, and it's not a big deal to do it by hand --- just be calm, patient and careful and use lubricant --- it took me about 2 episodes of _Arrow_ (~1.5 hrs.) to do all the threads on my machine.

My original suggestion was that one do one thread in each piece of MakerSlide after doing one hole in each end of the Z-Axis piece and repeat --- that way you shouldn't have two bad holes at one end of one piece. You'll get the hang of it after the first couple of turns --- I just believe in an abundance of caution.

I was mostly joking about the Micromark tool --- I love tools and find it hard to resist showing off even tools I don't have --- I have had the tapping guide will1384 linked on a wish list for a while though.
BTW, Did you do all of the S2 Wiki? I like that there is a sense of humor in there. Sort of a Tim Alen-ish Tool Time edge to it...
"...and the flutes act as an evacuation channel. Yeah, that's right, an evacuation channel. That's bad ass...." ruh ruh ruh ruhhhh
That'd be Edward Ford (my wife says I have no sense of humor) --- I've not done as much on the SO2 instructions as I'd planned, but hope to catch up by this weekend --- Edward and some other folks at Inventables have been going full-tilt on it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:06 pm

I agree with Will -- for all the talk and anxiety about tapping, here and elsewhere, there's nothing to it. Relax, lubricate, take it really easy, don't force it -- back off if it seems stuck -- and you'll do just fine.

(Re-reading that last sentence, it strikes me as sensible general advice in many situations, some of which have nothing to do with tapping or holes.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:56 am

@ Will, I only have one episode of Game of Thrones left, so I will not be doing it during that, so it might need to be Dr. Who.
I have not seen Arrow. It's good?
cvoinescu wrote:I agree with Will -- for all the talk and anxiety about tapping, here and elsewhere, there's nothing to it. Relax, lubricate, take it really easy, don't force it -- back off if it seems stuck -- and you'll do just fine.

(Re-reading that last sentence, it strikes me as sensible general advice in many situations, some of which have nothing to do with tapping or holes.)
BAAAHHHAAAAA haaa haaaa. I started laughing when Will (who claimed to have no sense of humor) started to write it, then you expanded on it... Now my wife wants to know why I am laughing so hard. great.
Build log

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 am

I saw your mention of drag chain. I have been looking at drag chain for a couple of weeks now and I am down to these two, Do you think that 15mm or 20 mm is a better choice? I know that we need room for a power cable and in some spaces, up to 3 stepper cables. Do you think either of these will work, or do I need to look at something larger?

I searched long and hard to figure our what the stuff was called initially. Bad ass looking cable holder stuff does not yield results. Well I guess it will now, but it didn't at that point.
Build log

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:07 am

I've got two drag chains/cable carriers on my extended ShapeOko, both of them 25x38. The extra room is nice for accommodating heavier gauge wire. I have two different types, and the big difference I have noticed is that one has hinged links that open, allowing cable to be laid into the carrier, rather than threaded through it. This is nice when you've got connectors on the wire and/or the carrier is nearing capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2