Quick introduction: I'm an engineer with a love for electronics and mechanics even though I studied IT. I frequently come up with ideas for things I should build, but the limiting factor has always been my patience and the lack of proper tools. When I've, despite my situation, started a woodworking project I've always ended up frustrated because the dimensions and angles weren't perfect and that made assembly more difficult. I'm hoping a nice Shapeoko will aid me greatly in my projects in the future.
I'm hoping to be able to cut/mill MDF/Fiberboard and PCBs to start off with.
Here's my current shopping list. I haven't ordered any of the items below just yet, so if any of you have some input please speak up
- Choose-your-size eShapeOko Mechanical Kit with Open End Plates from A/S/L
- NEMA23 on all axes
- Aluminium spacers
- 1000mm dual X rail
- 1500mm Y rail + deluxe frame
- Trapezoidal Z leadscrew
- Steppers from OMC Stepperonline
- X: 1x Nema23 1.16Nm 1.5A (164.3 oz-in) 23HS22-1504S (http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-2 ... -p-68.html)
- Y: 2x Nema23 0.6Nm 0.88A (85 oz-in) 23HS16-0884S (http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-2 ... p-105.html)
- Z: 1x Nema23 0.6Nm 0.88A (85 oz-in) 23HS16-0884S
- Steppers drivers
- 4x DRV8825
- GAUPS Shield (50V)
- Uni CNC spindle motor 850W, 11 500-32 000rpm from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1304465029)
- 36V 9.7A Power Supply from OMC (http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/switch ... p-157.html)
I like to do things like this properly, but the question is; am I being too ambitious?
Maybe the Nema23s are overkill? If so, this in turn means the stepper drives might not be needed and I could instead go for a grbl setup.
Any thoughts and/or suggestions regarding the build will be greatly appreciated.
- NEMA23 steppers from CNC4You.co.uk<
- Stepper drives from Lucas (http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20electr ... 064AH.html)
- 4x Traditional or Special DIY THB6064AH boards
- 4 axis BOB
- 36V 10A Power Supply from eBay
- Spindle alternatives
- a) Dremel knock-off (this would be purchased only for testing and to start off with)
- c) 0.8kw or 1.5kw water-cooled chinese spindle with Bosch Rexroth EFC3600 or similar VFD
[May 10 update]
Everything is now ordered and I've already received the steppers and PSU, a 1/8" reducer for the router and quite possibly the router itself (I've got a package still at the post office).
Also ordered some PCB micro drill bits, 0.1mm 20° engraving bits and copper clad boards from eBay so I have something to work with once I get all the parts for the machine itself. Also need to buy some end mills soon.