SO2 POC and electronics

Share your Shapeoko created projects!
erik

SO2 POC and electronics

Post by erik » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Last year I wondered whether I was capable to assemble and run a SO2, for this purpose I bougt a flatbed scanner, a HP printer, two Arduino 5V stepper motors and a Baby-Orangutan processor board. In total a $50 Proof of Concept.

Gbrl0.8 was used and the Hello World testfile from ShapeOko
As pulleys and belt came from salvage I modified the steps per mm in such a way that it made an approximate 10mm cube when axis were moved manually

The main challenge was that I could not use normal stepper drivers as the 5V Arduino motors are too small for this amount of power. I used the Arduino ULN2003 boards and translated the Gbrl step and dir output to these drivers. The Z axis was controlled directly with the two motor outputs of the Baby-O.

I learned a lot about stepper motors and how to control them. It works but it is very slow with the 64 gears attached to the motors, this result gave me enough confidence so I ordered my SO2
Attachments
Shapeoko 0.1.jpg
SO2 v0.1
Shapeoko 0.1.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

erik

Re: SO2 POC and electronics

Post by erik » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Next step was to assemble the machine. In order to move the machine around easily I built a small table and attached all hardware to the table.
SO2 Table.jpg
The table
SO2 Table.jpg (153.61 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
After mechnaical assembly I continued with the wiring, this took a lot of time but having the end switches saved me a few times already. It is definately a must have.
SO2 Wiring.jpg
The Wiring
SO2 Wiring.jpg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
I wanted all eclectronics on the Y axis gantry and found a small box to house the electronis, the lid was too tight to fit over the Arduino UNO with the Protoneer Stepper Board so I used a couple of spacers to create even more ventilation. I used two 12V 40mm fans to cool down the Pololu Drivers.
SO2 Electronics.jpg
The electronics on the gantry
SO2 Electronics.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Last edited by erik on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik

Post by erik » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Next was to attach a spindle, my main materials are going to be Balsa (max 12mm) and Plywood (max 3mm) A Dremel 3000 was the weapon of choice. In order to improve stability I used the 18mm threaded housing on the neck of the Dremel. I bought a small lathe in 1982 which helped a lot to machine this adapter.
SO2 Dremel 2.jpg
SO2 Dremel
SO2 Dremel 2.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
So with everything in place I could start to learn about the software chain. For designing model airplanes I found DevFUS software, it allows you to draw a fuselage the way you would do it by hand and it takes care of all the CAM functionalities including bridges. In a few hours I was able to design a fuselage and send the Spinner Backplate Ring to the machine.
SO2 testrun.jpg
SO2 testrun
SO2 testrun.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
So here is the first real job I ran on my machine.

http://youtu.be/08GKABzBib4

This has been a very rewarding project for me, I learned a lot on CAD-CAM and electronics. Coming from an era where we used to punch holes in cards to program and a CAD workstation costing more than the house I am living in it is a miracle to have that at home.

Thanks to the community I solved some problems I encountered during assembly. The biggest problem was the interference of the end switches with the motor leads. This was solved by adding a low pass filter with a 4k7 resistor and .47uF capacitor. For the rest I found my answers in all of the posts made earlier. Thank you all for your contributions.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Very, very cool!

Appreciate the mention of DevFus --- added it to the wiki. Is DevCAD suitable for general-purpose use and to mention there as well?

Lastly, would you draw up the files for your spindle mount? It'd be nice to have it for the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Nice!

You need to upload a video of that hacked together version running.

Your mount is AWESOME!
I believe some other versions of the Dremel has the same fitting, so this could be useful for a lot of people.

And RC planes are by default awesome...

:-)
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

erik

Post by erik » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:17 pm

I only use DevWING and DevFUS for creating my airplanes. These two products have a very steep learning curve as you do not have to know anything about CAD CAM in order to operate them. The software can be downloaded by anyone and will work properly, only the function print and make Gbrl file depend on the license. So you can evaluate the software at zero cost.

The DevFUS can be used for boat hulls too and not only airplanes. License cost are reasonable for such a powerfull tool.

Whether DevCAD is a good general purpose software, well I am not yet ready to answer that question, I learned to draw mechanical parts with ink and becam ea project manager. It changes when you have to do the work yourself. I am a beginner in CAD and just learning the basics.

I studied LibreCAD (Open Source) this week-end and think that that is enough for my 2,5D work I am planning in the near furture.

On special request, take your time and enjoy the POC: http://youtu.be/illlBkX_GVU

The bracket will follow later.

erik

Post by erik » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Here the details of the Dremel mount. As the Dremel is quite a small spindel you have to lower the Z axis Makerslide on the SO2, for the SO1 I would recommend a flat plate at the bottom of the Makerslide. The SO3 would dwarf the Dremel.
Dremel mount low.jpg
Dremel mount low
Dremel mount low.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
I used LibreCAD to draw the mount
Dremel mount.dxf
Dremel mount LibreCAD dxf
(32.98 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
With a screen print of the drawing
Dremel mount.jpg
CAD drawing Dremel mount
Dremel mount.jpg (223.26 KiB) Viewed 1173 times