best rigidity mods for SO2?

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
cvoinescu

Re: best rigidity mods for SO2?

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Xaracen wrote:"And while you're at it, put the front and rear X V-wheels on single, long bolts, with metal spacers, going through both plates (although it's a bit harder to match the distance between the wheels to that between the Vs of the MakerSlide accurately)."

I did that on my v1 shapeoko, and it certainly helped, but I got an even bigger benefit beyond that when I replaced the z-axis v-wheel bolts on the aluminium z-plate with longer bolts that extended through the x-axis motor plate in the same fashion as the x-axis v-wheel mod, though I had to drill receiving holes in the motor plate (and move one of the idler wheels a little to make room). That extra mod made a huge difference in the rigidity of the carriage at just the places where the torsion forces from the z-axis actually apply themselves to the z-plate.
I wonder why I did not mention that too. That's how I've been doing them since 2012. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Xaracen

Post by Xaracen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 pm

cvoinescu wrote: I wonder why I did not mention that too. That's how I've been doing them since 2012. :)
I discovered that earlier today when I had a look through your eShapeoko assembly instructions, and saw that you were already doing this on your carriage assembly.

Before I did my x-axis upgrade I had a look through this forum for tips and tricks about how to go about it, and it was always the x-wheel bolts that got extended, sometimes along with extra bolts through the spare holes on the z-plate, but the z-wheel bolts never got mentioned (not that I noticed at the time that they weren't mentioned, I only realised that later), and so that was what I did. But the flexing of the z-plate which wasn't at all obvious to me before, was glaringly obvious afterwards, so I looked through the forum again, this time specifically about extending the z-wheel bolts, thinking maybe I had just overlooked it, but I never found anything specific concerning them. I would also check out any photos of people's shapeokos I came across to see if any had extended z-wheel bolts, and again came up with nothing clear.

But it seemed obvious that that was how the flexing was coming about in the first place, so I just went ahead to see how much difference it would make, and I was amazed how effective it was.

Having found that you did it on the eShapeoko first just confirms to me that it was the right thing to do :D
Shapeoko v1 #????
500mm Y-slides with dual Y-steppers
375mm dual X-axis gantry
150W DC ER11 Sable2015 spindle
conductive probe via spindle shaft/toolbit (can probe while spinning!)
Arduino Uno running grbl v0.9i with grblShield v4.

Caesar S

Post by Caesar S » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 am

WillAdams wrote:I'd start by fastening the X-axis Makerslide together.
Hi Will,

This got my attention ... do you have a thread elaborating this?

Thanks, Caesar.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:41 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

galyion

Post by galyion » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:12 am

I'm ordering all new v rail for my rebuild. The 350mm of my so1 just isn't big enough. I'm thinking of getting the rail nituff coated and machining brass or olite bronze vwheels. Has this been done before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 am

Don't think anyone has done any of that.

Anyway, the Makerslides sold by inventables uses 6105-T5 Aluminium, but that alloy isn't listed among those suitable for nituff on this site:
http://www.ase4anodising.co.uk/nituff.asp

The SO rails are 375mm, which was long enough to get a workarea of 200x200mm because of the much smaller motor plates.
I'm going for 9mm wide belts and open endplates made of 8mm Aluminium on my rebuild.
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't know for sure, but 6105 isn't that different from 6063, 6061 and 6082.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

galyion

Post by galyion » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 pm

I went with 1/8 stainless for my motor plates and end plates. I asked our plater about the 6105 alloy. Said it will plate ok but the color may be spotty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk