Some ideas...

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions
Max Metz

Some ideas...

Post by Max Metz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Been playing with how I will develop my Shapeoko when it arrives, worldwide freight to Western Australia is usually a limiting factor so I want to get it right and order most of the specialized parts at the same time before my Shapeoko ships. The outside belts is a gem of an idea, incorporated that, as is the dual Makerslide on the top x axis.

The vacuum solution with the brushes seems the best so I'll draw that up later as the parts should be no problem.

Here 1st of my 2 models, I may end up with my machine looking like this though instead of 2 600mm side Y axis rails and standard x axis length the final version will be 2 sets of 600mm long Makerslide. This configuration needs 2 y axis motors as there is no room for a drive shaft. the spindle is slung in between the two x axis rails with 75mm clearance for spindle and mount. It needs custom x axis motor plates as shown.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0014 play double x.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0014 play double x.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0014 play double xz 2.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0014 play double xz 2.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 4504 times

Max Metz

Re: Some ideas...

Post by Max Metz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 pm

This model shows the size I want, a3 both ways, it also shows the drive shaft - 5x13x4 flanged bearings either end on threaded rod with the pulleys on the outside with the belts, the shaft driven with a motor coupled with a flexible aluminium coupler. 8 25mm brass standoffs hold the motor in place. The z axis assembly is moved forward 1mm to allow the 8mm thread rod to clear the additional y axis drive shaft - the delrin nut is also shimmed out 1mm. This arrangement allows around 420mm cutting in x and y.

This option requires 2 x 1200 pieces of Makerslide, 4 v-wheels, a pulley, 2 flanged bearings, a flexible 25x20mm 5mmx5mm flexable coupler and 8 25mm brass 3mm standoffs. Likely two 600mm y axis Makerslide pieces will be permanent with the existing 375mm while the new 600mm x axis pieces will interchange - a small easy to store 200mm x 420mm cutting machine easily made into one 420mm both ways when the need arises.

I'll only go to the 1st option with split x axis Makerslide and dual y axis motors if the load and twist on the dual Makerslide is still too great when mounting a more powerful spindle.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012 upscale.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012 upscale.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
This model shows some of my early workings on the mounting the material and refining the cutting length. For Aluminium plate the top material holder will be used while deeper lighter material projects will likely happen on the bottom stage. It also illustrates the extra y axis travel afforded by either removing the existing y axis end plates. Though not shown here chocking out the end plat positions by putting a long piece of threaded rod to lengthen the Makerslide beam (not track) before securing it to the end of the original plates increases the cutting length significantly by around 40mm (not a problem with Edward's V2 plates).
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
There is at least 9mm to be gained either end of both the x and y axis in cutting length by chocking out the ends of the Makerslide, the little yellow triangle represents where the v wheel comes to rest. I'll do this mod last as it doesn't need any special parts and just refines the final cutting size of the machine.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long 2.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long 2.jpg (41.2 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
Last edited by Max Metz on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 pm

This image shows my version of the drive shaft and outside belt mod described above.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long 3.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0011 play out belt drive shaft long 3.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
So for me at least, I'll be ordering the extra parts for the 2nd 600x600 dual Makerslide option with drive-shaft and outside belts. I'll incorporate the 2 level material stage and arrive at an indexing system for both levels, allowing the material to be cut, moved along a set distance and then cut again rather like a mosaic - I might use Ikea shelf pins, holes drilled as part of each g code run. Should be fun.

I presents this stuff here in case anyone sees some use in any of the ideas. Best regards. :D
Last edited by Max Metz on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSWeaverAz

Post by RSWeaverAz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:40 pm

I like your idea of how to use 2 makerslide's on the X-axis ... separated by a few inches rather than bolted together.
The spindle is mounted between ... genius
I Launch Rockets
, aka High Tech Welfare for Engineers
Your tax dollars have to go somewhere ... right!
ShapeOko S/N 396

Tom Smith

Post by Tom Smith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Wow, the fact that you are coming up with this stuff and your kit hasn't even arrived is inspiring, Max! I like the idea for opening up the Y axis to allow longer stock to be milled; I was thinking I could do this by passing it under the Y-axis maker slide, but would be restricted to using pretty thin stock. Your approach would allow for much more thickness.

Will be watching for more sketchup prototypes as time goes on!

Tom

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks RSWeaver.

The drawback to splitting the Makerslide on the x axis leis in the 75mm limit for the spindle and mount, otherwise I think its ok. I really appreciate your encouagement, enjoy the comming weekend mate. :D

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks Tom. :D

Encouragement is the life blood of the Arts, I really appreciate your comment mate. I have a fare bit of work to do on getting the stage levels and indexing working - its good fun doing it though. Enjoy the weekend mate, German Grand Prix broadcast live this Saturday and Sunday night (W.Australian time) so my weekend is likely going to be a ripper! lol

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 pm

This is my final design for my Shapeoko setup, the top double Makerslide will be last as I have to either make or buy that from someone who has lengthed their machine and has a spare length.

Ordered the other extra parts from Inventables and Ebay.

Inventables:
4x v wheels
2x eccentric nuts
1x pulley
4' extra belt

Ebay:
8x 25mm M3 brass standoffs
2x 5x13x4mm flanged bearings
1x aluminium 5mmx5mm coupler
1x 1m 10x10mm internal drag chain
4x 201A toggle clamps.

Hoping to get away with 1m of drag chain by using the clear plastic tube for the static parts of the cable encasement. All the electrics run to the front bottom right of the machine.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 1.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 1.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
The work area has two stages, the top stage adjusts level with allen keyed M8 bolts fixed to the y axis Makerslide, the adjustment locked with locknuts. The bottom stage is similar though the adjustment is at the bottom rather than the top.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 2.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 2.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
The cutting area is maximized by chocking out the ends of the y axis by 9mm each end and by creating a bridge to the front Makerslide supports with 2 sets of M5 threaded rods. Eventually I will chock out the x axis by 9mm each side as well for a full 230mm square cutting area using the standard Makerslide 375mm extrusion lengths.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 3.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 3.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
Last edited by Max Metz on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:50 pm

This shows the rear of the machine with the extra shaft driven pulley and the wiring path in the drag chain and clear plastic tube. The drag chain rests on a thin aluminium angle just clear of the motor plates. the tube is held in place by nylon ties through a hole in the aluminium angle, cup hooks at the right front of the machine. I'll hope to install limit switches early, proving the wiring for the same initially.
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 4.jpg
MyBat Shapeoko mods 0012b play out belt drive shaft long 4.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
With the two stages a future belt driven 4 to 1 4th axis, using a TinyG, should yield quite a bit of depth flexability. It should also be good for laser scanning using a small building laser, camera and David software. :D

I still have to work out a pin indexing system, where holes are cut in a work-piece which then align perfectly to pre set pins for the next stage of the cut - enabling the effective work area to be extended without actually extending the machine.

northbear

Post by northbear » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:41 am

Max Metz,

Thanks for sharing your design. Very cool!

If I may ask what you are planning on making that would use two stages?
My buildlog is here