UGS and grbl controller freeze

Discussion about the arduino based g-code interpreter, grbl
GrainGuy

UGS and grbl controller freeze

Post by GrainGuy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 am

My Shapeoko 2 has been running great for months. Today it decides to stop mid path, over and over again at different points each time. I have changed out the USB cord ( & reroute away from everything else), tried other USB ports,unhooked 24v fan, isolated power to gshield, tried grbl controller ( inplace of ugs). Ugs locks up and has to be closed with task manager. However, it will run a path fine if I have the gshield and arduino powered off. I also had a bunch a different problems with ugs. I had connection errors, an alarm, weird movement, and other stupid shit. I'm not sure if my computer is destined for the landfill, if my arduino and gshield are on their way out the door, or if I should wipe em all clean and reload. wtf! I also have a raspberry pi I could boot up. Any ideas and troubleshooting suggestions would be great. I need this up and running ASAP for a huge project due. Thanks guys!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: UGS and grbl controller freeze

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:40 am

Weird behaviour like that is usually electrical:

- ground everything w/ no ground loops --- anti-static strap?
- USB cable w/ ferrite bead
- put computer, vacuum and motor p.s. on different circuits --- eliminate any large appliances if possible
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

GrainGuy

Post by GrainGuy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Will. I have everything on different circuits. If I get a anti-static strap where should I put it? I will pick up a usb cord.
Now that I've had a good nights sleep and the pain of defeat has worn off, Im wondering if my usb ports are going bad in my computer. Its an old computer and I'm also having "hiccups" with key commands ( like while holding shift to select multiple vectors and it lets off and i have to start all over). I thought it was the key board and no big deal. Is there a way to check this?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02 pm

The anti-static strap I envisioned is a wrist strap to ground.

For a desktop, I'd get a PCI USB board --- or, just get a cheap tablet to test w/ --- managed to luck into an Asus Vivotab Note 8 for a bargain price.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

GrainGuy

Post by GrainGuy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:22 pm

I just printed a new mount for my spindle and attached my hose and dust shoe to the gantry. Could this cause static and jack everything up? How do I get a pic on here for ya to see?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Maybe, is the vacuum grounded? Or does it use a two prong plug?

Run a ground wire from the mount?

GrainGuy

Post by GrainGuy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

This is making me crazy. My dust collector has a ground. I ran a ground at the mount to some ductwork. Im still not able to get through a run. Is there a better place to ground it? I also tried booting up my raspberry pi with grbl controller and no luck.
Thanks for all your input.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 pm

This could be long shot but if you have a spindle or router that has brushes, please check them. I had a router motor with worn down brushes that was arcing and made lots of emf noise. At the time it caused lots of lost steps and headache.

Mrevoir

Post by Mrevoir » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:15 pm

This might be too obvious, but you mentioned it started after you connected the vacuum. Could it be extra resistance making you miss steps? Have you tried running it minus vacuum?

GrainGuy

Post by GrainGuy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 am

Yeah man, the only thing Ive done different is adding the new mounts and dust shoe printed from pla. Ive always had dust collection, but both it and the mounts for my dw611 were made from wood. Im going to swap things back for now and see how that does. Thanks fellas.