Vac or planer ?

Talk about all things CNC
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Vac or planer ?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Woodworker wrote:perhaps this http://lostartpress.com/products/by-hand-eye-1

And the not yet released workbook. http://lostartpress.com/collections/boo ... -hound-eye

Would be good for planning and designing pieces.
Depends. Is it better turned out typographically than their Studley tool cabinet book? Or just as rife w/ errors?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I have no idea, the book is on my Christmas list. I will probably pick up the work book as soon as it is released. Did you forward your list of issues to Chris? I follow his blog and know that severaleople edit each book, I am sure he would be open to constructive criticism.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:15 pm

The problem is, he comes from the magazine industry, and what I see as fundamental typographic standards, he seems to view as needless effort.

Discussion here:

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/05/12 ... -tomorrow/

there was another blog post in which I made more comments, but Schwarz can't be troubled to properly tag all his posts, and it doesn't come up so that I can easily find it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 pm

WOW! I have now read the topic here, LAP, Reddit and Sawmill creek and did not realize the extent of the discussion. I, like you, know that many were n the publishing trade but i don't think they were in the typography part of any of those magazines. I would have thought with all the discussion LAP would have at the very least commented on what you had to say. I am not skilled enough to find those errors even if i was looking for them. I would think, as you said, that they would invest in one person to read it from a typographical viewpoint.

I will have to confess that I am a voracious reader and do not notice the typography, I barely notice the grammar mistakes or the misspellings. I read for either pleasure (science fiction) or knowledge (science, woodworking, cnc) and have too little time to slow down to catch those. i still believe typography is important but for me the content is more important.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Will, I am sad that some of the people on the Sawmill Creek forum did not even begin to comprehend your criticism, let alone agree with it, when it's so much common sense. They wilfully conflated writing and typesetting, and the "I don't know that: it can't be important" attitude was so jarringly fallacious. (I don't know the details of nuclear reactor maintenance: they can't be important.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Defy

Post by Defy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Woodworker wrote:This just popped into my inbox
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/08/04 ... ing-guide/

Is this the guide you bought?

No i got the eclipse and some naniwa stones. I have a few of thier stones that i have used during my 1911 phase when i was doing trigger jobs and building a few. If the eclipse is too cheap i will get the LN one. I am trying to ease into this hobby. I had over 1k worth of planes in the cart and i almost pulled the trigger... But i really dont have time right now to really build big stuff so i just wanted a nice tool to test the waters. Give me a couple of weeks and i'll probably have sold an M1A (no seriously if someone is looking) and i'll have a handful of LN and if i dont use them to their full potential they are still cheaper than most of the art on my walls and just as purdy to look at!

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 pm

I agree that they can be art, there are a lot of plane collectors that start at the LN level and go up from there. You also seem to know you way around metal work, if so building your own is possible.

Defy

Post by Defy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Woodworker wrote:I agree that they can be art, there are a lot of plane collectors that start at the LN level and go up from there. You also seem to know you way around metal work, if so building your own is possible.

Not necessarily looking to collect but i want to learn some tips and tricks to pass to my kids such as honing and sharpening and woodworking basics like planing, chisel work, sawing, joinery, etc. you know life skills all little girls need to know.

They are young so we started with bows and we'll move to shotguns, then rifles and pistols when they are old enough. They also need to learn basic woodwork, machining, camping, mechanics, hand tools, electronic work, pretty much everything in my old scout book. So i have to know a little about all those things so i can teach them.
Here we are building some arrows (well cresting them).

You do not know how hard it was not to fix them and make all the patterns the same...

Defy

Post by Defy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:50 am

ok.... so I have been hunting c-list and i came across this -->

http://omaha.craigslist.org/hvo/5156095632.html

if you could get everything for 4k would you do it? I am going to go see what handtools and other odds and ends. They guy is willing to work with me and make a deal. I WANT all that stuff but I don't NEED it but I figured I might be able to buy it see what I use and sell the rest.... Seems like a pretty good deal...

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:02 am

Those machines are about 20 years old or older with that paint color, with 20 years of wear and tear. It's an estate sale, so they probably don't know what they are looking at. For the 4 machines I'd say $1000 tops with all accessories, blades, bits, jigs and mobile stands. The table saw is a contractors saw, not a cabinet saw as they have the price referenced, most of the rest is on the lower end of the spectrum. I purchased a similar bandsaw for my FIL for $25 and just had to clean some rust off the table and tune it up for him, and replace the tires. I think he had $75 in it with a new blade and tires. It wasn't a Jet but likely came out of the same Delta bandsaw clone factory. Power tools rarely get over 50% of new unless they are fairly new, Festool or Fein. Price the tools new from Grizzly or Laguna and see where that puts you.

Buy what you need as you need it and buy the best you can afford at the time. It will save you money in the end.