Printrbot Simple Metal

BellyUpFish

Printrbot Simple Metal

Post by BellyUpFish » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 am

Any one here have any comments on this printer?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Printrbot Simple Metal

Post by WillAdams » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 pm

It’s a well-regarded design and linked on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing#FFF

The base design is suited for manufacture on the ShapeOko: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 85&p=39733
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 pm

I needed a printer for a project like "right now" so I went to MicroCenter and picked one up. An hour or two later I was up and running.

I previously bought a MendleMax kit but had nothing but trouble although that was several years ago and I'm sure the kits have improved. I'm not recommending against kits, just some of them. I've pledged for an E3D Big Box which is a kit but it won't be here until December or maybe later. People here may have noticed that sometimes production schedules go awry.

I have nothing but good things to say about this printer although you may out grow the small build volume and I specifically would not buy another printer with an auto-leveling sensor like on this one. I think for an assembled printer the entire Printerbot line is a good choice.

Defy

Printrbot Simple Metal

Post by Defy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:42 pm

Printrbot is an awesome company Brook cares about his customers and makes a great product

I am going to get the plus here soon

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks guys.

I want something "smallish" to see if I'll even get use out of it.

Seems neat but at the same time, lots of trinkets are made versus useful parts.

I don't know how, yet, to model in 3D, so if be reliant on Thingiverse and other parts depositories for what I could make.

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:22 pm

I've not liked the designs I've seen for Shapeoko limit switches nor 611 air diverters as they either seemed overly complicated or missing features that I wanted so I designed my own and printed them on this same printer.

I've also printed models of custom aluminum extrusions to show customers, so there are some fairly useful parts that can be printed as opposed to trinkets.

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:29 pm

I know it can be a very useful tool, but like any tool, you have to be able to use it. ;)

If I could model in 3D, I'd be all over it.

I'm still learning CAD.

dave_the_nerd

Post by dave_the_nerd » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:54 am

BellyUpFish wrote:I know it can be a very useful tool, but like any tool, you have to be able to use it. ;)

If I could model in 3D, I'd be all over it.

I'm still learning CAD.
Mine works pretty good. I can't model worth a darn either from an artistic standpoint, but you can make a lot of pretty useful parts just by mapping out a 2D object in CAD and extruding it to a particular Z-height. (Admittedly, you then have something you could cut out on a shapeoko just as easily. But if you have sharp angles or don't want to fudge the design to accommodate for cutter diameter...)

And then there's thingiverse. One of the first things I printed was an electronics enclosure for my Shapeoko, which I definitely didnt design myself. I think the two machines are pretty complimentary to each other. :D
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 pm

dave_the_nerd wrote:I think the two machines are pretty complimentary to each other. :D
3D Printer: "Hey Shapeoko. You look good today!"
Shapeoko: "Yes, it's that new enclosure you printed for me! It fits me perfectly. You're so talented!"
3D Printer: "It looks good on you. But you're beautiful, anything would look good on you."
Shapeoko: (blushes) "Tee hee! Thank you! Your work is great!"
3D Printer: "Thank you."
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk