How to run ChiliPepr w/o internet (was Re: Software)

Discussion of tinyG control platform
sdumond

Re: How to run ChiliPepr w/o internet (was Re: Software)

Post by sdumond » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I have stated my reasons why chili peppr won't work for me. Plain and simple, there is a lot of us that don't have internet access. Period. I did not mean to slander John for developing chili peppr. In fact it is a great program. I have absolutely no complaints other than I can't use it because of my current lack of internet in the shop. When I am able to keep it loaded and run over to the shop it has never quit me. BUT, I don't have internet access.

I am not going to say anything further about chili peppr. I would LOVE to have it offline. I have tried TGFX last and halfway through it slowed down so much I couldn't stay awake till it finished. They have abandoned it. I am no software developer and I don't have time to learn it. I am getting old and running out of time and already have too much to learn. So that being said I have to rely on others to develop the software. I know I am complaining, but I did not realize that we were headed for the cloud. I do not even WANT my machines function to operate on the reliability of the internet. I used GRBLGRU last night, and it worked flawlessly!! So now there is an alternative to chili peppr. Thank you for GRBLGRU!!!!

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:15 pm

I just want everyone to know that if you want to run a g code sender on tinyg without being hooked to the internet, GRBLGRU is the program! It works great!!
Has no slow down with memory problems, has a good interface and plenty of options. It also has a manual that he has written, that is extensive and written for the layman! Simple to understand and now is in Imperial and metric!

Thank you GRBLGRU!

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:14 am

Last Thursday a storm came through our area and knocked out the Internet. I needed to carve on my cnc machine and if i was only relying on the Internet to get to the g code sender program I would have been in trouble. That is what I was talking about! I would hate to have a machine and rely on the cloud. Not a thing wrong with chili peppr except for the cloud.

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 am

I can't help but correlate this whole "I can't rely on the cloud" as the equivalent of saying "I can't rely on electricity being available from the grid."

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:38 am

An electric generator is a bit more robust than trying to use a cellular hot spot.

Also, in most localities, electric is more reliable than internet. We've had at least two service interruptions since getting fiber optic, one of which lasted most of a day, can't recall the last time we lost power (it helps to live w/in a stone's throw of a sub-station) probably the NorthEast blackout of 2003.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

veng1

Post by veng1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:26 am

A back up electric generator is fairly inexpensive.

A back up cell site, not so cheap.

A USB stick to transfer files is fairly inexpensive.

Running CAT5 to a remote shop, not so cheap.

A hotspot and data plan just for your shop, not so cheap.

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 am

Internet outage here happens about once a month in summer due to storms. Sometimes for a couple of days. Otherwise have fast DSL except at shop, where I don't have Internet service due to location as I have stated in earlier post. Last time electricity went out here was about 6 years ago in ice storm!

John, I understand that you want to keep this program web based. It is your program, and you are entitled to do with it what you want to do with it. As I said earlier it works good. You don't have to defend yourself. But, I personally think that web based programs are not the way to go as stated by me and others for all the reasons stated. Yes I could spend the money I guess and run a cat 5 cable to the shop, which would be a lot of work and expense, but if I am making money making signs this is definitely not reliable nor trust worthy enough for this! I personally think the designers of the tinyg should have went to a computer based program like was started. It is way more dependable and accessible and makes the tinyg worth buying, in my book! The tinyg works great, it just needs good software to go with it. I think GrblGru will fix that. At least someone is working to develop a offline program that works without the internet. Maybe then we can have the best for everyone.

zamp

Post by zamp » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 am

Last month Danal Estes got Chilipeppr working offline: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... qJSpgo_4-0

I don't know any details, but there's a short google groups message thread on this at the above URL.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Cool. That might put TinyG back on my radar. Any "online only" solution is not feasible for my use case. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

cowtheory

Post by cowtheory » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I was also looking for an offline version of CP and just came across this thread. Regardless of being online or offline, I think it's important to be able to use a "frozen" version of the software. For me, it's not only a preference, but also a matter of safety. After all, Chilipeppr is used to control a physically dangerous tool that is spinning an endmill at tens of thousands of cycles per min. As a user, I need the peace of mind that the software will be the same and predictable not just today, but also tomorrow, etc. I understand that with any software, there are no guarantees that it is free of bugs and that I am expected to use it at my own risk. But it is a real danger (that can possible cause serious injury or death) if the software behaves differently than what the user expects. This has happened to me before. I was trying to mill a pcb but unexpectedly my spindle plunged into the material at a VERY fast rate, breaking the PCB, breaking the wasteboard beneath, hitting a metal nut, breaking the endmill bit, metal and wood bits flying everywhere, my spindle still spinning at 20K RPM and my CNC machine still cranking motion. You get the picture. Luckily, I had proper protective gear...but it could have gone seriously wrong.

This difference in expectation could be due to 1) newly introduced bug, 2) a new feature that broke a previous feature, 3) a new feature that broke a previous user expectation, 4) a malicious open source developer. What if someone malicious decided to fork a version that is aimed to do harm? Instead of running the user gcode, it controls the spindle in a destructive manner?

What if there is a way to implement a mechanism for the user to choose exactly which build version to run? I've seen something similar (in this case the eBay API). They basically keep ALL their builds active and online. Every little change forks a new build version, while old versions are still active. That way, nothing gets broken, be it code or user expectation.