Working Sketchup v8 with phlatscript on Mac OS X

Working Sketchup v8 with phlatscript on Mac OS X

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 am

Think this will interest some of you.

A month ago or so, I installed phlatscipt, I never got it to work correctly and forgot about it as I were not ready to mill anything anyway.
Yesterday I had some things to mill for my p&p head (will make a separate thread in pick and place subforum).
After searching the Internet and trying various things I got it to work eventually, so here is a write up what you need to do:

• Get phlatscript from their forum page. (Need to sign up)
  • Unzip the files.
  • Somewhat confusing this plugin should not go into the plugin directory but directly to '/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/'.
    Filelist:
    • /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/tools/phlatboyztools.rb
    • /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/tools/Phlatboyz/
    • /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/Resources/en-US/PhlatBoyz.strings
  • Change this line to true (/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/tools/Phlatboyz/Constants.rb):
    Code: Select all
    # Set this to true if you have problems with the parameter dialog being blank or crashing SU
    Use_compatible_dialogs = false
  • If you want to change other default values. do it in Constants.rb as well.
  • Start Sketchup
  • Access the phlatscript tools either from View\Tool Palettes\Phlatboyz or Tools\Phlatboyz.

Before changing Use_compatible_dialogs, the parameters dialog was blank and needed a resize to show anything, also any changed values resulted in corrupt settings. After setting Use_compatible_dialogs to true everything works.
Karl

Re: Working Sketchup v8 with phlatscript on Mac OS X

Postby dointhangs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Karl FYI I was able to succesfully install this last night on my mac. The toolbar shows up just fine, will further test but just to say THANKS!! but I thought there were issues with sketchup 8 not playing nicely with phlatscript? Was that just install problems (that you succesfully dealt with here) or is there something more profound to be aware of?
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!
dointhangs

Postby Karl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Happy to hear it worked for you.

I haven't done extended testing, but all things I throw at it, it could handle.
Only problem I have is that I don't like the percentage you have to specify for how deep cuts you want to make, so instead I set it like this:
For a 4 mm MDF board:
Material: 4.4 mm
In/Outside: 100
Generate Multipass: True
Multipass depth: 1.1 mm

This way the second last cut will be at 3.3 and I will be sure to not cut loose the piece before the last multipass.
Karl

Postby dointhangs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:36 am

this and the universal gcode sender has me on my mac really nicely (my preferred machine as the pc I am using is pretty creaky).
if anyone knows of a toolpath generator for mac let me know?
I found this "GWizard" which is advertised to work on mac. But thought I would ask to see if anyone has experience with it before I try.
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!
dointhangs

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 am

dointhangs: Have you tried any actual milling with sketchup and gcode sender?
I have used it for a couple of days and I seem to get 2-10% smaller holes than I should on inside cuts. Outside cuts are correct and the g-code produced seems to be correct so I don't quite know where to look for problems.
Karl

Postby dointhangs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Karl sorry I am still drawing in air and just getting my chops going on sketchup. (like just learning about the centerline function last night as I need to cut some pockets for my application). Thanks for the heads up on that issue. Wont be long now before some test cuts and I will maybe try to make an identical shape on both the pc and mac version of sketchup and compare.
dointhangs

Postby dointhangs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm

I verified that outside cuts look correct like you said and I will check the inside cuts problem tonight or over the weekend. Just curious on the phlatboyz parameters screen what is the "in/outside" value specifying? Their Phlatscript help page is pretty good but didnt address that parameter (that i noticed).
dointhangs

Postby Karl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:09 pm

I seem to have gotten better result by switching bit, the Dremel bit I was using was not the size I thought. I also straighten up my tool with some extra spacers on the lower mount. Will see if I can tweak to get even better precision.

The "in/outside" seems to be how much extra it should go down in percentage to your material. For 4 mm MDF I seem to get the best result by setting the material to 4.4, in/outside 100, generate (multipass) true and multipass depth 1.1.
This will make 4 passes at 1.1, 2.2, 3.3 and 4.4, which results in only the last cut will go thru.
Karl

Postby dointhangs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Ok thanks, units are percent, got it. And if I understand this you could get the same sort of result you describe for your 4mm thick MDF example by setting your material to exactly 4 and then the in/outside to 110% (higher than 100).
I guess another thing on the parameters screen I dont understand at the moment is StepOver. Default set at 30%. ??
dointhangs

Return to Software - CAD, CAM, Workflow Help