How to control the SO3? Oh, so many ways...

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
MidCitySlim

How to control the SO3? Oh, so many ways...

Post by MidCitySlim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Currently, I run my SO3 using UGS with a standard laptop. I want/need to get away from using said laptop for various reasons. I have read about a couple of inexpensive options, and can't pull the trigger on any particular one... I use a PC for Fusion 360 CAD / CAM, and use Dropbox to send .nc files over to the Laptop (I like this feature). I just need to determine how to control the SO3 using .nc files.

1) Raspberry Pi - I have a RPi sitting around collecting dust. I would need to buy a dedicated monitor to complete the setup. Estimate $50?

2) Win 10 Tablet. I have read that people are using something like the HP Stream 7" tablet to run their SO2 and SO3. I see various tablets on Amazon for about $50. I feel like this would be the easiest / cheapest option, and I could use Dropbox still. Only challenge is for long jobs, the charging port is also the comm port. Might require a USB hub / added cost.

3) Basic used laptop. Estimated cost - $100? Simple enough.

Thoughts?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How to control the SO3? Oh, so many ways...

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm

You should be able to use a Raspberry Pi w/ no monitor --- just use VNC to control from your laptop.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MidCitySlim

Post by MidCitySlim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Nice in theory. But my laptop and PC are both in my office - SO3 is in the garage. Not terribly effective in setting up the job (homing, zeroing, probing for Z).

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:10 am

I'm a fan of cheap old laptops running Linux.

You should be able to pick something up for less than $50. It doesn't need a fast CPU, lots of RAM or lots of disk space if all you are doing is running UGS or bCNC.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:21 am

I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi, but pretty much my whole CAM workflow is Windows-only at the moment, and it would be really nice to be able to make small tweaks on the same computer.

I've noticed that a local office surplus store is selling old Dell workstations for $20-30, so I might check that out sometime.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Joe Pineapples

Post by Joe Pineapples » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 am

MidCitySlim wrote:Nice in theory. But my laptop and PC are both in my office - SO3 is in the garage. Not terribly effective in setting up the job (homing, zeroing, probing for Z).
You could always add a small, cheap screen for the RPi. That's what I intend to do, I want to work at home like I do at work - all CAD/CAM programming done in the office and then take a USB stick loaded with G-Code out to the workshop or garage. With a screen to display position and data, you should be able to set your XYZ datum on the machine without your PC/Laptop.

There's two threads I'm currently engaged in and find the contributors of both to be very helpful;

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7942 -Headless Raspberry pi

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =raspberry -New minimal control software
Nokia 3310 with custom ringtone
Nintendo Gameboy with backlight upgrade and worn D-pad

MidCitySlim

Post by MidCitySlim » Mon May 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks. I ended up going to an electronics graveyard and picked up a nice little 10" laptop for $50. This saved me the time and frustration of building out my RPi to control my SO3.

GregoryG

Post by GregoryG » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:24 am

When purchasing a cheap laptop, make sure it has at least 2 g ram, to run carbide control.

Shook

Post by Shook » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:05 am

I have a raspberry pi and a crappy walmart LCD TV with HDMI input running Universal G-Code Sender

I use one of these for homing and control - https://smile.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-K ... s+keyboard
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

ijv

Post by ijv » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:58 pm

I use a 10 year old laptop (1 core 1.5G of RAM), running Lubuntu with either UGS or bCNC. It works fine, but the backplot for complicated jobs can be a bit slow to refresh.