Shapeoko 3 #1403 Build Log

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
ENC DEI

Shapeoko 3 #1403 Build Log

Post by ENC DEI » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:22 am

I finally took the plunge and purchased a new in box (used) Shapeoko 3 from a member here on the forums. He purchased and never even opened the box! I opened it up over the weekend and started inspecting everything. I'm a diesel mechanic in the Navy by trade, but this is all new to me. I picked up a copy of Edward Ford's book and started doing my research. I'm excited to start building this over the weekend. I've watched dozens of You Tube videos and I'm pretty sure all of Winston's (at least three times).

So far I've ordered up the following:
Dewalt DWP 611
Steelex 4" precision square
Pair of BL-123 precision steel blocks
1/4"-20 EZ-Lock threaded inserts
1x #111 .0625" Ball Cutter (Qty 3)
1x #201 .25" Flat Cutter (Qty 2)
1x #202 .25" Ball Cutter (Qty 2)
1x #302 0.50" V-Bit Cutter - 60° - (Qty 2)

Looking forward to sharing my build with you. Mainly looking to do some military themed projects, first one being a retirement gift for a friends of 8+ years.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 #1403 Build Log

Post by WillAdams » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Please get safety gear, eye and hearing protection, dust collection.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

ENC DEI

Post by ENC DEI » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:00 pm

WillAdams wrote:Please get safety gear, eye and hearing protection, dust collection.
I've already got a TON of plugs, muffs, safety glasses out in the garage. I missed out on the suck it but will be purchasing one once available for sale again and one of my first projects is a dust collection setup like Winston made.

I'm starting on building a torsion box tonight for the base of an enclosure. Building a skeleton out of 2x2, 1/4" plywood for the internal sides and top, withsome left over insulating foam panels inside the frame. Also going to have a magnetic plexiglass one piece door on the front.

ENC DEI

Post by ENC DEI » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 am

Ended up starting to build this over the last couple weekends and almost done with it. I stopped and ordered the upgraded Z Axis plate and decided to build a house for it. 48" Wx 32" Lx 24" H. I just got 5 of the six sides put together and laying down a base cost of white paint.

Why so big? Well, at some point I am going to upgrade to an XL and didn't want to have to rebuild it. I'll have LED strip lights inside along with plexiglass glass viewing ports. I also pre ordered a Suck It dust boot. I want to have this thing operational and producing before too long.