A little help with drawing in CC

stioc

A little help with drawing in CC

Post by stioc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

I found this DXF of a fidget spinner which Chrome opens just fine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92OWu ... R1TG8/view but CC errors out on it.

Anyway so I imported a BMP image as the background so I could trace it. However, now (and this is what I want to learn) I'm kinda stuck with the Boolean operation after the first one I tried which semi worked (snapping a rectangle across the three circles. The purple lines is what I want but can't figure out how to draw those and get rid of the other lines. I guess ask another way how would you do this trace? Thanks for any pointers.
Attachments
fidget.JPG
fidget.JPG (50.22 KiB) Viewed 757 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: A little help with drawing in CC

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 pm

I was able to get the file to open as an SVG by:

- opening in LibreCAD
- exporting as a MakerCAM SVG
- opening the SVG in Inkscape
- re-saving after making it into a composite path.

See: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/File:Fidget.svg (you may need to verify the size)

To draw the angles you want, you could use polylines (closed), or rotate rectangles.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

stioc

Re: A little help with drawing in CC

Post by stioc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks Will! I'm able to open your SVG file perfectly! See the attached error when I was trying to import the dxf.

I tried the polys and finally got this one to work but some just didn't do anything at all. I figured the lines have to clearly intersect so I made sure of that but it was a hit or a miss. I'll figure it out with more practice I'm sure.
Attachments
fidget2.JPG
fidget2.JPG (36.54 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.01 KiB) Viewed 746 times
fidget3.JPG
fidget3.JPG (32.38 KiB) Viewed 746 times