Discussion about Tooling and Fixtures. End Mills, Router Bits, Hold Downs, Fixtures, Etc.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
So I attempted my first big maple leaf inlay. I used a 30 degree vbit to do the inlay. After sanding it all down I noticed that some or most of the corners had gaps. I am just wondering what could cause this and how i go about fixing it for future projects.
Could be a lot of different things, though I wonder if your v-bit is actually 30 degrees. If it's off a little you'd be overcutting the male and undercutting the female (or vice versa). And since v-carve inlays are so forgiving of tolerance, it makes sense that you'd only see it in the corners. In the meantime, a great fix is simply to push in matching sawdust and then drop some low viscosity CA glue (the thin watery stuff), then sand down. It will show a little darker, but it's cures to a great finish.
- Posts: 8604
- Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
- Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Could be caused by runout from the endmill not being perfectly plumb.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets