z axis threaded rod not gripped by coupler

cjgaus

z axis threaded rod not gripped by coupler

Post by cjgaus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 am

I have purchased a batch 4 shapeoko and I am having trouple with my z axis coupler not gripping the threaded rod. Is anyone else having any issues?

cjgaus

Re: z axis threaded rod not gripped by coupler

Post by cjgaus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:55 am

Also is the coupler suppose to grip onto the threaded rod once tightened or no?

T4b

Post by T4b » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Can you explain how it is not gripping (yes, it's supposed to, have you looked at the instruction at http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Assembly_step_9)?
I haven't got a clue what the problem could be from what you've written.
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.

rpe

Post by rpe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Do you still see a gap in the split where the screw is? If you do keep tightening it. You should be able to close that pretty much up.
Attachments
coupler.jpg
coupler.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:25 pm

A few of the original machines had this problem as well. A bit of electrical or plumbers tape around the top will make it tight.
shapeoko #0057

kf4mot

Post by kf4mot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm

I had to tighten the snot out of mine. Batch 4 also.
I thought I was going to strip the aluminum coupler but it didn't.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Some of those couplers have both a screw that narrows a gap, tightening the hole, and a grub screw (or set screw if you prefer). In that case, to keep the rod centered in the coupler, tighten the split screw only half way, and do the rest from the grub screw. If there isn't a grub screw, you have no choice but to tighten the split screw as far as needed; some tape indeed helps. I found adhesive aluminum tape to work very well for this purpose.

Check out, for instance, this eBay listing, where you can see that the coupler has both a split with a screw, and a grub screw. That is the best type.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

cjgaus

Post by cjgaus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Sorry guys for the delayed reply I am in Australia. Everything is going great guns. Ignore my above posts. I was being a lil girl and not putting some brute force into it and not keeping the coupler tight enough. All is attached nice and tight now.

tdierks

Post by tdierks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:44 am

I had a similar problem with my coupler not gripping my threaded rod, and had difficulty getting aluminum tape to work in shimming it. In the end, part of my problem was that the threaded rod wasn't actually far enough up into the coupler to grip; even though the end seemed to be past the coupler's gripping screw, not far enough, apparently.

The trouble was that the length of the shaft of the stepper motor, plus the height of the two nuts that secure the rod above the bearing, didn't leave enough threaded rod protruding for the coupler to grip it. (I couldn't get the rod further into the coupler because it was bumping into the end of the stepper shaft.) I fixed this by putting three washers below the nylon spacers on the stepper bolts, so as to move the stepper a few mm further away from the z mount plate; this cleared enough room for me to be able to move the nuts down and get the threaded rod further into the coupler.

Just in case this helps anyone else.

- Tim

phlamingo

Post by phlamingo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Tim, the other approach to this is to trim a couple of mm off the end of the stepper motor shaft. It may be a superior solution, because shimming the motor introduces the possibility of wobble.

Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding your description of the problem.

It took me a while to work up the nerve to cut the end off the motor shaft.
---
ShapeOko Batch 2, Number 571, dual-Y motors, Y belts outside, odd anchors. Not operational at the moment: needs rewiring.