toolpath setting idea in Carbide Cut

DianaB

toolpath setting idea in Carbide Cut

Post by DianaB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 pm

New here, just bought a used Shapeoko XXL. I have been looking through a ton of videos and reading a bunch and now I have a question. I stumbled over a YouTube video about not spoiling your spoil board. The gentleman has a different machine and thus different software but I need some help with applying the concept to the Shapeoko.
His concept was set the max z direction to the spoilboard then no matter what your machine will cut all the way through the material and not cut up the spoilboard. He accomplished it this way.

Set the bit on the spoiloard and have the value = to the max (-) value of the material. So if you are working with 1/2" block of wood you would put the tip on the spoilboard and set the z to (-.5). I think alternatively you could set it to 0. This way if there is a variance in your material you can set your depth of cut to .57. but the machine will never go past the Z set point.
So I get the concept what I don't know is how to achieve this. Carbide Cut asks about top or bottom. I guess what I really need to know is how can you set a max Z no matter what you say the depth of the material is to account for a variance in material?

Not sure if it makes any sense but here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Q1o16Ux-I

Diana

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: toolpath setting idea in Carbide Cut

Post by WillAdams » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:28 pm

That's a really good idea --- you'd just need a way to ensure that the endmill stickout is consistent with that setting.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

DianaB

Post by DianaB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 pm

I did get the concept to work and posted a followup new thread. I am not quite sure what you mean when you say make sure the endmill stickout is consistent with that setting? I was not able to set a -Z in Carbide Motion as far as I could tell so I ended up setting a higher Z value than my material and it worked. My material was .47 inches and I set my Z to .51. Cut through and never touched the spoilboard.

northbear

Post by northbear » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Can the same effect be done by setting z-zero at your waste board and defining zero at the bottom of the stock in job setup in Carbide Create?
Capturesss.PNG
Capturesss.PNG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 9 times
My buildlog is here