Standalone setup

WagonBoss410

Standalone setup

Post by WagonBoss410 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi. I am hoping to either build or buy a regular Shapeoko soon. I have a 3d printer and was also looking at building an RSCNC32. I noticed that everyone seems to be running a computer near their Shapeoko, but the RSCNC doesn’t seem to require one. Is there a way to configure a stand-a-lone setup with the shapeoko? Like could I run a gcode sender on a RPI4 set away from the machine? My plan is to build an enclosure for the machine, in my home maker space and keep the power source and electronics on the outside, but I was hoping to be able to send the gcode wirelessly. Alternatively, has anyone been successful running a long usb from a computer far away to the shapeoko?

Bonus question: it looks like the RSCNC32 would let me use a wii nunchuk to move the spindle around, presumably to tell the machine where the workpiece is and set zero. Is that something I could configure the SO3 to do? Or is that what folks are using the little square probes for?

My intended uses will be cutting hardwoods, g10, micarta, etc for knife scales, light milling of pcbs and aluminum brackets and eventually laser engraving. Ideally I could get it setup for small fabric and leather pattern cutting at some point, but thats a bit of a pipe dream.

Considering my significant knowledge gaps I am leaning heavily toward buying a stock SO3 and switching things up as my knowledge increases. Just wondering how open source the system is for certain things.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Standalone setup

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Yes, you can attach a Raspberry Pi to the machine and use it to control the machine:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Com ... spberry_Pi

You can use a Wii Remote if the buttons are mapped to keys:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Pendant

Pretty much everything you'd want to know is (or should be) on the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WagonBoss410

Re: Standalone setup

Post by WagonBoss410 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Ok, wonderful thanks!