Upgrading S02 to 1000mm^2, advice needed.

Talk about all things CNC
danparker

Upgrading S02 to 1000mm^2, advice needed.

Post by danparker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 am

Going to upgrade my good ol' S02, have a few questions.

It is stock except it has a DeWalt spindle, ACME Z axis and limit switches.

I followed the list on Instructables project page to put together the list of required parts (https://www.inventables.com/projects/10 ... pgrade-kit). Seems to have everything I'll need to order from Instructables anyway. See anything missing?

I know I will need to stiffen the X axis sandwich. I will fabricate my own plates to link the Y axis to the base 2020.

Any other upgrades I should do while I have the whole thing torn apart? I've got other upgrades planned (cable chain, etc) but that can be done while assembled.

Going to loc-tite everything together this time around. I should use the green stuff I think?

Finally, do you think it's worth it? Price seems reasonable to me and I'd really like a bigger machine but don't want to fork out for an X-Carve or other new machine. Would you do it?

Thanks in advance! Stay safe out there in this crazy new world we find ourselves in.

Ric

Re: Upgrading S02 to 1000mm^2, advice needed.

Post by Ric » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

I recently did this upgrade, and got the wide Makerslide:
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... makerslide
If you're going to be buying two pieces of 1000m regular Makerslide, I'd go with this instead.
I also got the one piece x carriage extrusion
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... -extrusion

danparker

Post by danparker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reply!

So the wide makerslide would be just for the x-axis, correct? All the other hardware is the same? Endplates etc. Anything else I would need to make that change?

I looked at that X carriage, but I'm still running the stock nema 17s. Think that's worth the upgrade? I have 3 nema23s kicking around in the garage, but I don't know the specs on them. That'll require more research.

Forgot to mention upgrading to 9mm belts. Have you done that? worth it?

I'd love to see some pics of your machine if you can

Thanks again!

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Yes, the wide maker slide is just for the x axis. It mounted right onto the old plates. A very easy upgrade.

I did go to 9mm belts at the same time.

I haven't used the machine enough to give an extended review of the upgrades yet. Once I upgraded to 1000m I realized it takes up too much room in my garage, so I've spent too much time setting up an electric hoist that will raise it to the ceiling when I'm not using it (with a torsion box under it). I am going to redo this (I don't like the torsion box I made) and so my upgrade is still in progress. But so far it's worked great on the projects I've tried.

For the Y axis mounting plates, I'm going to make some that are taller, because I want more space. At the same time I'll add some for Y axis support.

The next thing I'm about to get is updated electronics. I had to adjust the current with the nema 23s, and there have been some good recent discussions on good ways to upgrade the controller.

I may try to make some surfboard fins soon, and if so, I'll try to post some pictures.

Ric

Post by Ric » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:03 am

Here are a couple of photos of my machine, which is a work in progress. I still have a lot to do for the upgrade, but you asked for some photos. On the second you'll see the Nema 23 mounted with the wide Makerslide. Notice that I couldn't use all 4 mounting bolts for the Nema 23, and only used 3; this was a problem others have notice before. (and ignore the mess and stuff involved with the lifting mechanism, since that will change). I really like the larger machine; it is much better than its ancestor.
IMG_0853.jpeg
IMG_0853.jpeg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 69 times
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 69 times
(sorry the bottom image is rotated--not sure how to fix it)