Simple Text Sign

Lookin4help

Simple Text Sign

Post by Lookin4help » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 pm

I want to make a very simple plaque that reads "IN GOD WE TRUST". What I want is to remove the material from outside of the letters and inside of those letters like the "O" and the "D". I also need to have a boarder around the edge of the plaque. All of the material between the letters and the boarder also needs to be removed.

I have looked at all the tutorial material, looked at things on the internet, and have spent nearly two week with no success. I simply cannot figure out how to do this and am wondering if someone with experience might be willing to coach me through this?

Thanks & blessings

gwilki

Re: Simple Text Sign

Post by gwilki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 pm

What CAD/CAM software are you using? What you want to do is not complicated. if I understand you correctly. I'm sure that we can get it done.

If you are using carbide create, here is a video showing you step by step how to do what you want. He is doing stacked text, but the steps are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blA5W6msDVw

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 pm

I am using the Carbide Create that came with my router. I am sure that what I want to do is easy, as you say, but when you've never done it before and all you have to look at is that software tutorial (not very helpful), and you've no prior experience it's quite challenging - at least for a person with a simple mind like me. So, I can't tell you how thankful I am for your help.

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:44 pm

It's a bit of a learning curve, for sure.

I'm betting that you will get it done after watching the video. The short version is that you draw your border, you insert the text, then you select both the border and the text and tell CC to carve out between the two. I don't use CC, so the terminology is a bit different in mine, but when I watched that video, the process seemed to be pretty much the same as in VCarvePro, which is the software that I use.

If you have any questions after watching the video, I'll do my best to help. I'm sure that others on here, using CC, will be better able to reply, though.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:26 pm

My project is much more simple than the video. It was very helpful and in just a few moments I was able to finish this. I wish I had asked sooner. Again, I want to let you know how much I appreciate the help. God bless you! (Sorry I am not politically correct).

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm

You're very welcome, and thank you.

Take care.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:04 pm

I apologize, but I have one other question about this. The plaque/sign I am making is 32 inches by 3.16 inches by .66 inches thick. I am using tool #102 a 1/8 inch flat cut bit. The presets that come up with this end up running the project in 15 hours 26 minutes. That seems like a bit much to me. The depth of cut is .05 per pass, a feed rate of 20. at RPM 10,000 and the max depth cut is .50. Can you offer me any suggestions how to speed this up?

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:21 pm

That's a pretty small bit to be carving something that big.

To be tiresome, I'll repeat that I don't use CC, so I don't know your options. I tried an experiment in VCarvePro just now using the size of your sign. I just made the text an arbitrary font and size, as you didn't mention it. I ran it using a 1/8" end mill. Feed rate was 70 ipm. Depth of cut was .0625. Step over was 40%. I cut to .5". Total time was 6 1/2 hours. Still long, but it's a big sign to be using that small bit.

Some things to keep in mind. The step over will greatly affect the time. When I set the step over to 10%, the time jumped to 23 hours! Now, there is no question that the background will be smoother with the much smaller step over, but 23 hours??

Then,I changed to a .25" ball nose bit, with a 10% step over and the time dropped to just over 3 hours.

All this to say that there are a lot over variables to play with.

Here is what I would suggest. Take a test piece of the same wood, with the height of 3.16", but much smaller in width. Make a project using a couple of letters using the same font and size as your project. Run it using a .25" bit, ball nose if you have it, using a step over of 10%. Then see if the letters are detailed enough. They may not be, since that bit can't get into corners as tight as the 1/8" (obviously). However, if you like the results of the test, then you can do the real piece using the same bit, knowing that you will like the outcome.

I just did a sample, using the word "GOD" as that has all the shapes and corners in your text. I did the text the same size and font as the overall sign that I did. Recall, the overall sign using the .25" ball nose was just over 3 hours. My sample took 4 minutes. So, you can test this idea for about 5 minutes of cutting time. If it is not to your liking, you've only wasted 5 minutes. :-)

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Thank you again so much. In case you'd not noticed I am very new an inexperienced at this. It is wonderful to have a source of help and you've certainly been mine. Blessings!

gwilki

Post by gwilki » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm

I've only been playing at this for a few months myself, so I have much more to learn.

If you like, send me the font you are using and the height of the text. I can do a similation with a 1/4" ball nose in Vcarve to see what it looks like.

Do you have a 1/4" ball nose bit?

I have not been on this board long enough to use the private message function. If you have, it may be better to take this discussion there, as there does not seem to be any interest in it. If you like, and can send a PM, include your email address in it and I'll contact you directly to continue this discussion. If you would prefer to keep it here, that's good, too.