Painting inside v carved letters

Talk about all things CNC
Lookin4help

Painting inside v carved letters

Post by Lookin4help » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:44 pm

I am making a small plaque using a v carve bit to inscribe a Bible verse. Afterward I would like to paint the inside of those letters. How to do that? I am thinking of covering my work piece with masking or some other type of tape, then doing the carving and afterward spray painting the entire surface. After the paint is dried my hope is that I should simply have to remove the tape and I would have the letters painted on the inside but not the surface of the outside. I am wondering the the tape is simply going to wrap around my bit and do no thing more than make a mess. So, before I attempt go any further I am wondering if anyone has tried this, what your experience was, is there a better way to do this, etc.? Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and blessings to all!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Painting inside v carved letters

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 03, 2020 12:34 pm

The easiest way to do this is to finish the wood before cutting with a durable finish which will repel the paint, then paint, then wipe the paint off the finish at the top, then finish again.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Lookin4help

Re: Painting inside v carved letters

Post by Lookin4help » Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Appreciate the reply. I will give it a try.