Touch Pad

Talk about all things CNC
Lookin4help

Touch Pad

Post by Lookin4help » Tue May 12, 2020 10:50 pm

I notice that when I go to use my touch pad that there are VERY limited number of router bits that can be used to find X,Y,Z zero and none of them are V carve. I attempted to use a 1/8 bit in place of the 1/4 and found that everything was off center. So, I am wondering is there some way to add bit to the drop down box.

Jeff

Re: Touch Pad

Post by Jeff » Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 pm

When you used the 1/8" bit did you choose it as the bit you were using in the touch probe screen. If not then that is probably your problem . I have not figured out why they did not include vbits in the drop down menu for the touch prob.
Jeff

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Wed May 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Jeff, I am not sure I understand your repl, but then I've never been the quickest person to figure things out. You ask "did you choose it as the bit you were using." There are but three or four choices provided in the drop down box to choose from and a 1/8 bit is not among those choices. So, to answer your question I'd have to say no, I did not choose it, but only because the choice isn't there.

I am hoping there is some way to add choices to that drop down box, otherwise the touchpad is pretty useless.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Blessings

bsumpter

Post by bsumpter » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm

You can only use the touch probe for Z. With the natural shape of a V bit the top edges would touch (X/Y axis) before the point so you would get an accurate zero. That is one benefit of the bit setter. You can zero X Y Z with and end mill and the touch probe. Swap bits, then only have to re-zero your Z with the bitsetter.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

I understand the issue with v bit.

So, let me relate my experience to you. I wanted to use a 1/8 inch flat cutting bit. There is no such option available in the drop down box. I did as you suggested. I used the 1/4 inch flat cut option. I then proceeded to cut a boarded, which I had centered on the work piece. The boarder didn't come out centered. It was off just about 1/8 of an inch.

bsumpter

Post by bsumpter » Fri May 15, 2020 1:52 pm

In Carbide Create did you select using and 1/8 bit for programming the gcode? If you wrote the code for 1/4, and then cut with an 1/8 i can see that causing an issue.

If that is the case here is a video.
https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/car ... stom-tools

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

When I look at the options available in the drop down box there is no 1/8 option. I would think that for the touchpad to be of much use there should be a way of getting other option in that box. This is the whole point of my post, hoping that this is possible and how it might be done if it is.

bsumpter

Post by bsumpter » Fri May 15, 2020 2:10 pm

You have to manually add the tool and specs, like the video shows. Click Edit Library, then add tool. You can add as many bits as you need.

Lookin4help

Post by Lookin4help » Fri May 15, 2020 2:17 pm

I feel like I am getting close to resolving this. You tell me to add tools. Can you point me to the video link that shows how to do this?

bsumpter

Post by bsumpter » Fri May 15, 2020 2:24 pm

As seen in the pic here, the two arrows show were you need to go. look in the Custom Tool section in the link i posted an watch the video.
CC Library.png
CC Library.png (263.3 KiB) Viewed 305 times