Ennoble's Build log

Ennoble

Ennoble's Build log

Post by Ennoble » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 am

I've had my shapeoko for quite a while now, but until this weekend didn't have time to finish it and get it working.

The mechanical building went very smoothly, although it was some 5 months ago that I actually completely that.
The only issues I ran into was the eccentric nuts were quite difficult to get into their holes, however a pair of locking pliers solve that problem. The plastic spacers annoyed me a fair bit after assembling the X axis traveller. When I tightened the nuts down I could see the plastic bending (perhaps I was tightening them too much, but I was just using a low torque setting on a drill with a socket adapter for everything). Anyway, I ended up running to the hardware store and buying a set of aluminum spacers for the X and Y axises. Otherwise the machine is a completely standard + Dual-Y.

To wire everything up, I used too many TE AMP connectors, although if I want to change somethingI should be able to easily remove it and get all the wiring plugged back up in seconds. I got some rocker limit switches with wheels that I just epoxy glued onto the x and y and then used some of the extra nylon spacers in the situations where the limit switches wouldn't get activated until it was too late.

The biggest deviation I made from the standard was to use a Smoothieware and a Smoothieboard to control my Shapeoko. It mostly worked out of the box, creating the config file for the Shapeoko took a little bit of time. I'm still not certain about some of the settings. For example even though I'm pretty sure the Inventables steppers I got are 1.8degrees, I had to double the steps/mm that is set in default grbl config on the wiki.

Here the machine is:
IMG_1009.JPG
machine
IMG_1009.JPG (149.38 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
and the normal shapeoko hello world:
IMG_1007.JPG
hello world
IMG_1007.JPG (90.91 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
zoomed in:
IMG_1007a.jpg
hello world close up
IMG_1007a.jpg (189.47 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
There is a little bit of offset to some of the letters, any one have suggestions on what could be causing this?

After I got the hello world working, I then decided to try and create my own hello world. That started quite a bit of frustration. Inkscape was no problem, but I spent a while trying to decide how I would install HeeksCNC as mentioned in the 2D workflow on the wiki. Happily after some time I came across the MakerCAM video Edward posted and happily I've managed to create my own drawing in Inkspace and get the machine to draw it. Perhaps the 2D workflow wiki should be changed to mention MakerCAM? I also found Repetier nice to visualize what I was going to cut before I tried it. It's focused on 3d printing, but it can visualize gcode and zoom in better than the buildlog.net one (imho).

Thanks!
Shapeoko #971, Dual-Y, Smoothieboard for control

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Ennoble's Build log

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 am

Looks very good!

The slight disjoint in your letterforms is probably due to the pen bending, but might be caused by your gantry not being square.

Thanks for the wiki suggestions --- working on them next.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

phlamingo

Post by phlamingo » Wed May 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Ennoble, can we get more details about that braided cover on your cables?

I'm quickly coming to a place where heat-shrink at each end and in the middle of each bundle is just too ugly to stomach ...

-Phlamingo
---
ShapeOko Batch 2, Number 571, dual-Y motors, Y belts outside, odd anchors. Not operational at the moment: needs rewiring.

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Nice looking build!
I am going to guess that the slight offset is from the pen.
Zip ties are often not enough to hold the pen completely solid.
Many pens also have some play in the tip.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 pm

phlamingo wrote:Ennoble, can we get more details about that braided cover on your cables?

I'm quickly coming to a place where heat-shrink at each end and in the middle of each bundle is just too ugly to stomach ...

-Phlamingo
That looks like Techflex. You can get it from a lot of places (Amazon, partsexpress), but the brand name stuff is a bit pricey. If you feel like you want to be flashy or colorful, sleeve comes in a bunch of different colors for case modders. MDPC, Frozencpu, and Koolertech sell nylon sleeve, which doesn't expand as much as braided/techflex, but looks nicer. You can use paracord if you want to go the cheap route, which is basically the same as the nylon kind, but with less size options and you have to pull the cords out of the center.
shapeoko #0057

Ennoble

Post by Ennoble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:16 am

phlamingo wrote:Ennoble, can we get more details about that braided cover on your cables?

-Phlamingo
Hi Phlamingo,

I can't remember the brand, but I'm pretty sure that I got it at Fry's. It was something like $10 for the 6 or so feet.

Ennoble
Shapeoko #971, Dual-Y, Smoothieboard for control

speckone

Post by speckone » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm trying a similar setup. Can I have a copy of your config file?