Pen holders

dointhangs

Re: Pen holders

Post by dointhangs » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 pm

has anybody played with this eggbot pen holder? Does it offer us anything here? Its hard to get a feel for the "hinge mechanism" or how easy it would be to mount from the pictures.
http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/ ... 204-penarm
Shapeoko #298, dual drive upgrade, acme z axis, open bed endplates and a slightly larger ("expanded desktop") work area!

SnapFracturePop

Post by SnapFracturePop » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I have an Eggbot - I don't think the pen arm on it would offer any benefit here. It's a very simple solution to providing a Z-axis that doesn't need much accuracy. That's not to say I don't love my Eggbot for what it does, but aside from adapting some of the design elements to a new mount, I don't see it helping too much here.

The hinge is a piece of flexible plastic clamped to both sides of the arm. It can't turn very far and can be twisted a bit if too much force is applied
Shapeoko #384: dual-Y, outside-belt, ACME-Z,1000mm Y, drag chain cable management, insert-nut style base board, 800mw IR laser cutter, & 3d-printing with Qu-Bd & Printrboard.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm

There is some ingenuity on display there Burke, you are certainly very adept with your hands. Looking good mate. :D

wickity

Post by wickity » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 am

Resurrection time...

How does this mount fare with a ballpoint? To me, that's the holy grail of plotting with the ShapeOko... The felt tip has several issues, specifically with "spotting" where the begin/end of the tool paths are for any given shape.
ShapeOko #0352
WarPickle Global Enterprises, Ltd.
Adversarial Acquisitions Dept.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Just a word of warning: most ballpoints have "runout" (heh), because the lead can wiggle inside them. The really cheap one-piece pens (e.g. the yellow Bic) are better; but for best results, mount a Parker lead directly, with no pen.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

wickity

Post by wickity » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 am

Good point. I've bought a selection of pens to try out to see which gave me the best result. I have the most hope for the ballpoint easy flow gel types, as I'm hoping a very light pressure will work those, but give a nice consistent line. I may need to dismantle one or two if they get wobbly, and try to mount the writing hardware more directly.
ShapeOko #0352
WarPickle Global Enterprises, Ltd.
Adversarial Acquisitions Dept.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I like the Uniball range a lot. For a long time, the Uniball Vision Micro has been my favorite writing pen (until I switched to the Pilot Precise V5 RT, but that's retractable so it suffers from the wiggling lead; a non-retractable version exists too). However, be aware that gel and liquid ink pens, whether ball point or fiber point, work well only in a narrow range of pressures (fairly light), so you probably need a spring-loaded holder of some sort. Traditional ballpoint pens are less demanding, but also less neat.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Jimmy0x52

Post by Jimmy0x52 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 am

This was quite literally fashioned entirely in Home Depot. Used the miter box in the trim aisle to cut a couple lengths of this PVC that was 1/2" OD, then a spring from the handyman spring kit and a couple 5/16" ID grommets from the plumbing aisle. Just need to fashion some mounts for the Oko and I'll be all set.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358660007.601136.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358660007.601136.jpg (175.24 KiB) Viewed 7177 times